This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

October flew by in the blink of an eye. I spent a majority of my weekends traveling back to my hometown and nearby suburbs with friends, but I racked up quite a list of favorites! Here is what I’m loving right now. 

MOVIES/TV SHOWS:

Luckiest Girl Alive

I’m going to be honest, I wasn’t completely sure what this movie was about and it took a hot second to get me interested but I’m very glad I stuck with it. It stars an actress I have grown very fond of, Mila Kunis and gives an amazing storyline and call for action. Ironically, a year or so ago, I picked up one of those wrapped in brown paper mystery books with only a short description on it. Turns out, that book was what inspired this movie. I am looking forward to reading that book now that I understand what it’s about. 

Gilmore Girls

I’ve been wanting to watch this show for the longest time and I finally caved. I was told it’s the perfect warm hug for the start of fall and to be honest, I didn’t believe that. I can confidently say that they weren’t making that up. I haven’t even finished Season One so I can’t vouch for the whole show but I’m loving what I’m watching right now. This is a note for anyone who has been on the fence of watching it – do it, you won’t regret it. 

Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix

SKINCARE:

**A complete side note because this is not a product but rather an idea – I dyed my hair back to my natural color (which was way darker than I remember) and am absolutely obsessed with it, so if you’re debating on dying your hair a dark color for the cold weather, DO IT!

VALENTINO BORN IN ROMA AND ROSSO VALENTINO 

HerCampus’ College Fashionista did a campaign with Valentino and I was lucky enough to get a PR type package from them filled with goodies. I received a bottle of the Valentino Born In Roma Fragrance and a Rosso Valentino Lipstick for myself and a box full of samples to give my friends. I am absolutely in love with the scent and color of my lipstick so if anyone is looking for a new fragrance or lip color, I can’t recommend Valentino enough!

SONGS:

Two albums I am obsessed with got released on the same night in October and I’m playing them on repeat. Of course, I have favored songs in each album. 

Meghan Trainor

This is a lesser known album since it was released at the same time as Swift’s but I truly love the meaning and message behind Trainor’s newest album “Takin It Back”. I love two songs in particular: “Made You Look” and “Bad For Me”. The album is a great self-love anthem and with songs like “Bad For You” is telling us to take care of ourselves. So, in combination with Taylor Swift’s album, you should give Meghan Trainor’s a try also!

Taylor Swift

One of the biggest drops EVER. I am not the biggest “Swiftie” around but I have certainly started to listen to her music more and more recently, and this album is a masterpiece. It is hard to choose one song that stands out so I’ll say I love both “You’re On Your Own, Kid” and  “Maroon” with a close second of “Anti-Hero”, “Vigilante Shit”, “Glitch” and “Paris”. Although I’m sure that a majority of the world’s population has already listened to the “Midnights” album, if you haven’t, I think you need to cave! 

FOOD/DRINK:

Skinny Girl Salad Dressing

I’ve recently been on a salad kick and I’ve always been weary of salad dressings. I usually use way too much dressing so the calories can add up quickly and all of the sudden, the salad is no longer the healthier option. Skinny Girl Dressing has a low calorie amount so I don’t feel guilty when I use nearly half the bottle on a salad. I have loved the Balsamic Vinaigrette in the past but recently have loved the Raspberry Vinaigrette and Poppy Seed. 

White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies

My mom made these cookies a few months ago and I was finally home for a short while this month to taste them. I was unsure if I would love them but I was pleasantly surprised. They are, in the words of my mother, “YUMMO!” The recipe she follows is on Sally’s Baking Addiction  and it’s the perfect recipe for fall and can add a twist to your desserts. My mom has also made them into muffins so you have some freedom. 

Matcha

One of my best friends introduced matcha into my life recently and I have been obsessed ever since. I usually get it with almond or oat milk, and I usually don’t add sweetener but sometimes will add vanilla. I have always been almost scared of matcha but it’s been my go-to drink recently. 

CHICAGO: 

Big Shoulders Coffee

Located just a block away from me, this is the coffee shop with the best Matcha I’ve had. I also enjoy the one from Dunkin’ but Big Shoulders Coffee gets the number one spot. This is also a great location for students to study and enjoy some pastries or any type of drink.

Scream Scene

Found in Skokie, a nearby suburb, this haunted house is the perfect date night or just nighttime adventure. The ticket prices were affordable and although I wasn’t scared (it’s the Scorpio in me) my friends were and it was a good time! It is located in an adorned pool so you go through the locker room and each room is decorated in a different scary theme like an abandoned hospital or clown room. It was a great way to get our Halloween fix. 

Homeslice

This pizza restaurant is found near DePaul’s campus. Its decoration is unique with bathtubs to sit in and penny-coated walls in the bathrooms. Aside from the decor, the food is great and I highly recommend the Mozzarella Breadstix and Burrata appetizer. The pizza was also rather tasty so I can’t complain about this charming restaurant. It’s the perfect location for your next dinner with family and/or friends. 

Although I’m sad another month has come and gone so fast, my favorite month is November (my birthday month) so I am looking forward to what November brings.

Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers