My January Book of the Month
My January Book of the Month
Original photo by Gabrielle Dolbin
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

At the beginning of this year, I kept trying to think about what I wanted my New Year’s Resolution to be. Usually when I set a New Year’s Resolution, I only make it halfway through the year. So, I wanted to set a goal that would be attainable and would help me to grow. 

One New Year’s Resolution that stuck out to me was reading one book each month. When I was younger, I loved to read. However, as I got older, I noticed it was harder to find time to read while juggling a busy schedule. Additionally, while there are several different genres of books to read, fiction has always been my favorite. One of the reasons why I love fiction is because it gives me a way to escape to a world that is full of mystery, enchantment, and exciting adventures. Reading not only helps me to take a break from the craziness of school, but it also helps me to learn more about myself. So, the first book I chose to read for the month of January was The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. 

My January Book of the Month
Original photo by Gabrielle Dolbin

Personally, I need a book that is fast-paced and has lots of unexpected twists to keep me on my toes, otherwise I have a hard time finishing the book. The Woman in Cabin 10 was just that: a ride of twists and turns. From the moment I started reading this book, I could not put it down. In fact, it took me only 2 days to read it. The book is centered around the main character Lo who is a journalist. Lo is assigned to do a piece on the newest luxury cruise line and write about her experience. However, as the cruise begins, something very unexpected happens causing Lo to question everyone around her. As you read this book, you will be taken on a journey that is full of ups and downs and causes you to question each character you meet in order to find out what really happened. 

This book is one of my favorites that I have ever read. It takes a lot for a book to be on my list of amazing reads, but this was a no brainer for me. Not only was the plot of the story extremely well developed, but the writing style allowed the reader to completely visualize every character and place that was being described. When books have long chapters, I always check to see how long the chapter will be. However, this book did the complete opposite. Each chapter was relatively short, which allowed me, the reader, to fly through the book. On top of this, the book was divided into several different parts and at the end of each section the reader was left with a piece of information that gave them a sneak peak into the ending of the book. This was one of the best parts about the book because these short dialogues between the characters take place in the future compared to where you are in the book. Essentially, it makes the reader question what is going to happen and allows the reader to theorize how the book is going to end. 

Overall, I would rate this book a 10/10 and would highly recommend it to anyone, especially if you love mystery. 

Gabrielle is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying Nursing. She grew up in Dublin, Ohio and has always had a love for writing and traveling. When Gabrielle isn't studying for her classes, she can be found trying new coffee shops around the city of Chicago, watching Netflix and finding new recipes to bake.
Amanda is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying English and multimedia journalism. She's originally from the Cleveland, Ohio, area and is a huge baseball fan. When she's not drowning in papers (and even sometimes when she is), Amanda can probably be found watching her latest Netflix obsession or drinking coffee in one of the many great cafés throughout Chicago.