Michael Navarrete, ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Name: Michael Navarrete

Year: Junior, 2017

Major: Business, Marketing

Hometown: San Jose, California

Relationship Status: Single

Interested in: remaining happy

What’s the number 1 thing you look for in a partner? This is a tricky question…because I don’t think there is one specific quality that I look for in a person. People are made up of so many qualities that not one defining quality makes me more or less attracted than the other qualities a person posseses. I believe it’s an accumulation of these qualities, and it is more or less that “special feeling” people usually say they get when they encounter that rare interaction. I like to think that I don’t look for that special something, but I just feel it when it happens. Along with feeling connected with someone on a deeper level, there are definitely some qualities that I find attractive. When someone is passionate about something, and when that person exudes that passion effortlessly, is something I definitely find attractive. People who are not afraid to chase their dreams and be who they are, regardless of what people think is something I admire so much. Most of all, when someone knows how to love, and love hard, along with being respectful and honest, is something I definitely value and find most attractive. One more thing, someone’s smile (definitely my number 1 weakness).

Any best/worst date stories?: Last year on Valentine’s Day, I made dinner for my date. I went to Whole Foods and prepared a meal with the help of a friend. We set up my friend’s place up with candles, and we photographed the entire journey of me on the CTA, me at Whole Foods, and lastly me preparing the dinner. It was definitely something I will never forget, but a little hard remembering because we are not together anymore. I think what makes for the best date is just going for it and making it your own, without having any regrets.

Do you think healthy college relationships are possible?: I think it’s hard to be in a relationship with someone in college, but it is definitely possible. Relationships are complicated and people are complicated, and I think a difficult realization that many people do not initially see at first when dating someone, is that people change. We all have such busy lives and relationships require work. And lots of it. I think what’s sad with our generation is that we live in such a hook-up culture, where people have access to a plethora of options, whether it be sex, or finding a companion. The divorce rate in the United States alone is 50%, which shows that relationships are not always meant to last. I’m at a point in my life, where I don’t think (most) people are as interested in a long-term commitment as society once was years ago. Life happens, people change, and time doesn’t stop for anyone. You either love, or you get hurt loving. I do believe long-lasting love is out there, but I think it’s definitely old-fashion and hard to find. I think the best thing to do, at least while in college, is just be you and love yourself regardless of the ineivtable outcomes.

Celebrity Crush?: People are probably going to make fun of me for this, but definitely Hilary Duff, she’s a mesmerizing individual that has one of the greatest smiles.

Favorite pick up line?: You have the greatest smile.

Coffee date or dinner date?: Coffee first, then dinner.

Samantha (Sammi) Saliba is currently a Junior at Loyola University Chicago studying Public Relations and Marketing. She is also the Co-President of Her Campus chapter at Loyola and is the blogger and brains behind ambitiouslifeofacitygirl.com! A member of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Vice President of Loyola's Communications Honors Society and intern at a couple of companies, she never fails to stay busy and ambitious. Samantha aspires to one day own her own fashion PR firm in California, start a non- profit for sex-trafficking victims and have 75 puppies. 
Molly is the Loyola University Chicago CC, a PR consultant and fashion merchandiser by day, a blogger by night, and a coffee addict all the time. She's a Starbucks and Sephora VIP member, which is both a blessing and a curse, and would rather get Valentino than a Valentine. Her interior design efforts usually incorporate elk, while her wardrobe consists of black, black, and slightly darker shades of black.