This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Art can take many forms from nail techs to comedians to actors to painters. I got to sit down with Mia-Rose Fasciana, a senior at Loyola University of Chicago to talk about her art – music. She has been playing instruments since she was seven years old and has found comfort in two organizations at Loyola to share her passion with the world. Here is a Q & A session I had with her about this opportunity and much more. 

S: What instruments have you mastered?

M: I can play both the piano and the flute but I am more focused on the flute right now for my position in Ensemble and Pep Band.

S: Do you have a favorite instrument and why?

M: I prefer the piano over the flute if I had to choose. This is mainly because it’s easier for me to memorize the music and I find it easier to get a good sound out of it. 

S: When did you get started in music?

M: I started playing the piano when I was seven years old and a year later, at eight years old, I began learning how to play the flute. 

S: If you could pick up any other instrument what would it be?

M: I’d love to dive into learning the cello. I have always been fascinated by it and my close friend plays it and loves it. I just think it’s such a cool and honestly, underrated instrument and I love the sound you can get out of the cello.

S: You are involved in Ensemble and Pep Band here at Loyola, do you mind giving us some details on those organizations for those who don’t know?

M: Pep Band and Ensemble both are big parts of my life but hold different vibes or aspects from the other. For example, in Pep Band it’s more of a volunteer basis and we perform during basketball games and important sporting events. This usually has around 50-100 people, it just depends on people’s schedules. It’s a more chill organization for sure and has more flexibility. As for Ensemble, this is what people mainly think of when they hear “band”. It’s more classic I guess you could say. It does count for course credit so if you were majoring in Music, it is required. This organization usually has 80-100 people and it’s a bit more intense or traditional. I am in the wind ensemble but there are many different options. 

S: What is your favorite piece you’ve played for each organization and why?

M: That’s a hard question, I would say if I had to choose from the many pieces we play, I enjoy “25 or 6 to 4” by Chicago and I enjoy “Liberty Bell”.

S: What is the easiest part of your craft? 

M: I think I’m lucky because my directors make it enjoyable. Your director can truly make it or break it for some people. With that being said, because of the directors, the easiest part of my craft is being present.

S: What is the hardest part of your craft?

M: Since I find it easier to memorize piano music, I think memorizing the music for the flute is the most difficult part. 

S: Do you ever find yourself to be drained of the craft or tired of it? 

M: Honestly, yes. Sometimes you just don’t get down on yourself, that’s how you get burnt down. I try to surround myself with a great support system and I make sure my mental health is my top priority and this helps a lot. I’ve been doing this for so many years that I’m able to talk myself down if I need to. 

S: For someone trying to learn an instrument like flute or piano, first off which one should they start with and any tips or tricks on mastering the craft?

M: I would definitely start with the piano but my biggest advice is to stick with it. I have heard so many people say I tried for a few months and couldn’t do it. You have to have a passion and a strong desire to be doing your art to master it. That applies to any form. 

S: Is the community you are part of a good one? Do you feel included?

M: Yes, totally! I have been doing music since I was seven but during the four years at Loyola, I have participated in Pep Band and Ensemble as much as I can. I spent a semester abroad in Rome so I took a break during that semester and with COVID, Pep Band was shut down for a short while. Except for those events, I have had plenty of time to make great friends and create a good support system for both organizations. 

S: Aside from instrumental music, what is your favorite genre of music to explore?

M: If you looked at my Spotify, I would say my top three genres are: alternative, indie and as much as it sounds weird, metal. I honestly don’t know how to explain the metal interest. It’s a totally different vibe than my usual instrumental for sure but lately, it’s been calling my name I guess.

S: What is your favorite memory involving music from Loyola? 

M: I love the energy from Pep Band. Being able to go to basketball games and travel with the team with my friends alongside me is a great time. The energy and school spirit at those games are contagious and it’s a great way to spend my time doing what I love. 

S: Do you plan to continue this musical talent after college? 

M: I plan on continuing practicing my music but it will be on my own time. I think taking the professionalism out of it will make me love it even more but it won’t feel like a chore at times. I’ve dedicated too much of my life to give up on it now. 

S: Take me through a normal day of the concert or event you are performing at, do you have a routine to rest your body in preparation?

M: For the Ensemble especially, we do dress rehearsals for a few hours before our concerts. This means full black attire and professionalism which helps me get into my serious mindset and focus on the music and tune out the world.

S: Is there anything I may have not asked but you’d love for others to know about your craft?

M: I just simply can’t strain it enough to keep it up if you want to master an instrument. It takes time and dedication and doesn’t get discouraged by people. With all the criticism you might get from instructors or peers, you need to take it with a grain of salt. 

Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers