The Life of the Independent Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

To my independent ladies out there, We all have been through a lot in our lives and we have reached the point where no one else’s opinion really matters because we are finally happy. By happy, I mean we are fully content with who we are and truly love ourselves. Becoming an independent woman is nowhere near easy and it is not a quick process, but it is SO worth it in the end. I’m sure we all have been criticized before for our “overconfidence,” and instead of trying our hardest to not dramatically roll our eyes at ignorant people, here are some things to say to showcase your self-worth to the world:

1. If you’re an independent woman, then it is likely that you’ve met a boy who thinks you need him in order to be happy…who thinks your life would totally end if you were to lose him. You might find yourself being confused and pondering how any human being can be so ignorant, but instead you can tell him: “Please reevaluate your whole idea. I do not need you and am not naïve enough to let my happiness depend on anyone other than myself. And my happiness certainly does not depend on someone like you.” GIRL, put him in his place!

2. Being confident might sometimes come across as cocky, but if you’re an independent woman, you know that you’ve been through too much to be anything other than confident. Why not be proud of all your accomplishments? There’s nothing wrong with loving who you are and being happy with where you are in life. So to anyone who says that you love yourself too much, here’s how you should reply: “There’s no such thing as loving yourself too much. I am proud of who I am and how far I’ve come, but I am really glad that my confidence is seen by others.”

3. Being comfortable with who you are is one thing, but it is also really important to be comfortable with being by yourself. There’s definitely a difference between being alone and being lonely. Strong, independent people can be alone without feeling lonely and sometimes might even prefer being alone. Being independent often comes with being motivated to achieve your goals, which is sometimes great to do when you have time to think by yourself. After all, if you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself, right? So, if you’re single and people make the heinous assumption that you are lonely because you of your relationship status, you can say: “Being lonely has nothing to do with being in a relationship or not. I’ve learned that being happy with myself as an individual is what’s most important at the end of the day. As for being single, I actually really love it. Yeah, having a significant other would be nice, but that’s something I want, not something I need. There’s a major difference.”

4. It’s inevitable that other people might look as you as a role model. Having so much strength and independence is really admirable, especially in today’s society. You might have younger siblings who may need your help in learning how to be independent like you. Maybe some of your girl friends are insecure and could use some guidance from you. So, if anyone ever asks you for advice about how to be as strong of a woman as you, just say: “The secret to becoming the person you really aspire to be is to love yourself unconditionally. Know that you, like everyone else, is allowed to make mistakes, but the important thing is to acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them. Don’t dwell on your past. Once you achieve that, nothing and no one can drag you down.”

These are only a few of the experiences that women face in their lives by being independent and strong. I know that a lot of you lady Ramblers will be able relate to relate to these experiences and I hope that you continue being yourself and inspiring others. You keeping on doing you, baby boo!

Christy is a senior Psychology and Spanish major. She is one of the Campus Correspondent's of Loyola Univeristy Chicago's Her Campus chapter. She basically lives for Zumba classes and corgis. Her passions include promoting domestic violence awareness and mental health awareness and she does so through Alpha Chi Omega and Active Minds!
Molly is the Loyola University Chicago CC, a PR consultant and fashion merchandiser by day, a blogger by night, and a coffee addict all the time. She's a Starbucks and Sephora VIP member, which is both a blessing and a curse, and would rather get Valentino than a Valentine. Her interior design efforts usually incorporate elk, while her wardrobe consists of black, black, and slightly darker shades of black.