Knives Out: A Comedic Mystery Novel Brought to Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

I’ve been a huge fan of classic mystery novels for as long as I can remember. I finished the entirety of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s “Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” Vol. 1 & 2 in three months’ time. However, no other mystery tale could prepare me for the eccentric twists and turns that “Knives Out” delivered. 

Not only was the storyline completely original, it also had unparalleled acting, strong symbolism and well-hidden foreshadowing. “Knives Out” follows the Thrombey family after the patriarchal figure is found murdered after his birthday party. Grandpa Harlan (Christopher Plummer) was a best-selling mystery author who generously shared his fortune with his children. When he’s found slain in his room, the question of where the inheritance will go arises. Special investigator Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) arrives on the scene, contacted by an anonymous source and begins to question each member of the family as well as Harlan’s nurse.

The interrogation sequence was a standout scene, set against a circle of knives (a piece from one of Harlan’s famous novels) as the family members recount their respective memories of Harlan’s final day.

Photo Courtesy of Bloody Disgusting

With an insanely talented cast, it was almost impossible for this film to flop. We see many beloved actors taking on new and refreshing roles outside of their wheelhouses. Chris Evans, who notably portrayed the beloved Captain America for eight years, played the black sheep grandson of the Thrombey family. He came across as an entitled scumbag, and it was a stark comparison to the hero we’ve known him as for so long. And of course there is Benoit Blanc, the rambling and oddball detective. Seeing the man we know as James Bond, and more importantly, hearing the man we know as James Bond with a thick Southern accent was enough to make the crowd snicker any time his character started one of his lengthy cross-examinations. As always, Jaime Lee Curtis delivered a completely dynamic and authentic performance. Her part as the business mogul and mourning daughter was wrapped up with clever humor, emotional monologues, and witty dialogue.  

The film was a rollercoaster ride from start to finish. With stunning visuals and a killer soundtrack to match, “Knives Out” provided a fresh and modern take on the classic murder mystery story. For anyone planning on seeing it, I urge you to keep your eyes and ears open for the smallest of comments. They’ll all fit together in the end. 

“Knives Out” will be in theaters nationwide on November 27.

Her Campus LUC CC Diana is a senior at Loyola University Chicago pursuing a bachelors degree in Creative Advertising, with a minor in Visual Communication. As a self-proclaimed horror novel enthusiast, avid drinker of intricate coffees, and pseudo art aficionado, Diana hopes to share her wide array of passions with the HERCampus readers.