yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

I’m Basic and I’m Proud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

College is supposed to be the best time of your life. You’re bound to make friends that will last a lifetime, gain invaluable knowledge, and maybe even meet a special someone along the way. The overarching goal is to “find yourself” while away at school. I ponder this idea a whole lot (usually during my struggling times at the library) and wonder what people really mean by that. Are you supposed to one day have an epiphany and go from there or does it slowly happen over time? You’re open to an abyss of options, so how’s a girl to choose?

I have yet to have any life altering, game changing realizations. So as for right now I’m a struggling college student who loves:

1. Listening to Taylor Swift on repeat.

2. Proudly wearing my sorority’s letters.

3. Sipping my pumpkin spice latte. 

4. I literally (we “basic” girls tend to use that word a lot) love puppies and fall and hanging with my best gal pals.

5. The cast of Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal have become my second family, and each death has affected me on a new personal level.

All of these things, whether they seem important or not, have become part of what I consider to be my exciting and enjoyable college life.

People look down upon girls like me because we’re “basic” and “all the same” but I beg the question: is it really so bad? These simple joys in life have managed to keep me sane during this transition period as I figure out what type of woman I truly want to become. So, until I get my head wrapped around this whole adult thing – I’m going to keep on doing me.

Marketing student at Loyola University Chicago with a passion for French Bulldogs, donuts, Beyoncé and all things in-between
Molly is the Loyola University Chicago CC, a PR consultant and fashion merchandiser by day, a blogger by night, and a coffee addict all the time. She's a Starbucks and Sephora VIP member, which is both a blessing and a curse, and would rather get Valentino than a Valentine. Her interior design efforts usually incorporate elk, while her wardrobe consists of black, black, and slightly darker shades of black.