This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

With smaller gatherings for Thanksgiving this year, leftovers are basically inevitable. Here are a few ways to make sure that none of your food goes to waste!

Make turkey soup using broth from turkey bones.

This may sound a bit complicated, but it’s actually very simple! All you have to do is put the bones from your turkey in a large soup pot, add some large chunks of onion and carrot, season to your preference, cover everything with water, and simmer for about an hour or two. Take out the bones, onion and carrot, and you have the lovely base for a turkey soup!

My family makes a turkey and barley soup every year, and it’s perfect to have on a chilly day. Starting with a basic soup base of onions, carrots and celery, add some mushrooms, leftover turkey meat and your turkey broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetables are soft. Then, add the barley and simmer for about 20 more minutes until the barley is soft too. Simple as that!

Have a leftover turkey sandwich.

Turkey sandwiches are the simplest and most effective way to use your turkey leftovers. I like to make mine grilled cheese-style with cheddar cheese, a few slices of tomato and a spoonful of leftover stuffing, with gravy on the side to dip.

You could also opt for a turkey salad sandwich, mixing your turkey with some mayonnaise and chopped celery. Add some dried cranberries and slivered almonds if you’re feeling extra festive!

Make a big ol’ salad.

You can throw just about anything into a salad, including your Thanksgiving leftovers! This option is perfect if you have some leftover vegetables like carrots, green beans or brussels sprouts. Throw them on a bed of lettuce, add some leftover turkey, shredded cheddar cheese, croutons and top with a honey mustard or sweet vinaigrette dressing!

Bake sweet potato casserole muffins.

Sweet potato casserole is a staple Thanksgiving side in my house, but there always seems to be too much leftover. This recipe uses leftover sweet potato casserole and a little extra flour, butter and eggs to make perfect fluffy and moist muffins. For my family, these muffins have become as much of a staple as the casserole itself!

Have another Thanksgiving!

If you’re really drowning in leftovers, there’s nothing wrong with sticking everything in the freezer and having another Thanksgiving meal in a few months! This could be a great mood booster when the long months of March and April roll around.

Being creative with leftovers is one of the things I love most about the days following Thanksgiving. There’s no shortage of ways to use leftovers, so don’t be afraid to experiment and find something you love!

Amanda is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying English and multimedia journalism. She's originally from the Cleveland, Ohio, area and is a huge baseball fan. When she's not drowning in papers (and even sometimes when she is), Amanda can probably be found watching her latest Netflix obsession or drinking coffee in one of the many great cafés throughout Chicago.