HOW TO HOST A BUDGET FRIENDLY FRIENDSGIVING

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

It always sounds like a great idea to throw a Pinterest-worthy, Friendsgiving event for all of your closest friends, but as a college student, I know that I can’t afford to hire the Kardashian’s event planner to throw the Friendsgiving of my dreams. Here’s how I plan to host an amazing, budget-friendly Friendsgiving!

1. Tell everyone to bring a dish to share!

Doing a potluck-style dinner will cut down the cost of the event because you are not solely responsible for all of the food. As the host, I would recommend asking everyone what they are bringing or delegating dishes so that you don’t end up with three options of mac-and-cheese, but no mashed potatoes. 

It also makes it more fun because you get to try out all your friend’s favorite Thanksgiving foods!

2. Shop for decorations at the dollar store

The dollar store is super underrated in terms of decor, dishes and glassware. I have found so many cute items at my local dollar store that I know would be so much more expensive at Target or on Amazon. 

They typically have a lot of seasonal items, so it should be pretty easy to find place settings, napkins, tablecloths and centerpieces that match the vibe of the event and are budget-friendly!

3. Make some things home-made instead of using store-bought everything

This tip is especially useful if you are having a lot of guests. If you make the dish at home, you can typically get all the ingredients for less than buying several pre-made dishes at the store. It is also more fun, and you can personalize it with all your favorite things!

4. Only buy things you can reuse

While this doesn’t cut down immediate costs, I always try to buy reusable things, so that next time I’m hosting I won’t have to buy them! That saves me money in the long run, and it is better for the environment than constantly using one-time use things.

Frankie is a senior at Loyola University Chicago, majoring in Advertising/Public Relations with minors in Marketing and Visual Communications. She's from the suburbs of Chicago, and can usually be found online shopping, on a coffee run or forcing her little sister to stop for pictures.