freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Feelings in a Breakup: Taylor Swift Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.
Maybe you locked eyes in Simpson dining hall, or they saved you from a quad full of crazy bunnies, or you both found yourselves sitting in the cushioned seats on the first floor of the IC staring at the lake.  Where ever it started, and whatever it was, right now, it’s done and every time you see that Simpson guac you tear up a bit or when a bunny runs past, you run to the nearest tub of ice cream and don’t even get me started on how you go straight to the stacks to study now. 

No matter who broke up with who, when you really loved someone the breakup is going to hurt.  However, there is nothing a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and five albums worth of Taylor Swift can’t fix.  Here is a short guide to all the feelings you will feel in the process of your break up.

1. The Shock: Last Kiss

“I don’t know how to be something you missed, never thought we’d have a last kiss”

2. Eating the Pain Away: All Too Well

“And then you call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest, I’m crumbled up piece of paper lying here because I remember it all too well”

3. Freaking out about being alone forever: Breathe

“I can’t breathe without you, but I have to”

4. Debating on calling them:  I Almost Do

“I wish I could run to you. And I hope you know that every time I don’t, I almost do”

5. Deciding they aren’t worth it: Mean

“All you are is mean, and a liar, and pathetic, and alone in life, and mean”

6. Getting out there again: Shake it Off

“Baby I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake it off, shake it off”

This is the part where you feel fine again and you’re ready to go out with your friends and truly have a good time.  However being able to look back on the relationship and smile at all the good times you had together, even though it’s over now, is the way you know that you’re really completely over it.  So eat that Simpson guac, chase after those cute bunnies, and study in front of the lake because it’s freaking beautiful.  You’ve got you and that’s all that matters.

7. Acceptance: Clean

“Rain came pouring down when I was drowning, that’s when I could finally breathe”

As Taylor says at the end of her show during the 1989 tour, “she lost him but found herself and somehow that was everything.” 

Samantha (Sammi) Saliba is currently a Junior at Loyola University Chicago studying Public Relations and Marketing. She is also the Co-President of Her Campus chapter at Loyola and is the blogger and brains behind ambitiouslifeofacitygirl.com! A member of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Vice President of Loyola's Communications Honors Society and intern at a couple of companies, she never fails to stay busy and ambitious. Samantha aspires to one day own her own fashion PR firm in California, start a non- profit for sex-trafficking victims and have 75 puppies.