This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

I’ve spent my entire life thinking audiobooks were a cop-out, a cheat version of reading. As someone who loves books, and an aspiring writer, I had always perceived them as something to be read, not listened to. You listen when your parents tell you bedtime stories as a kid. Once you develop the ability to read yourself, the training wheels are off and you’re on your own.

I was wrong, and I have to apologize.

This past September, I curiously started browsing through my stepsister’s collection of books on Audible, and stumbled upon “Doctor Sleep” by Stephen King. I knew there was a movie adaptation coming out soon, and being a devoted King fan, I had wanted to read the book for some time. As a broke college student, however, I didn’t want to pay up for the paper version. With reluctance, I began listening to the audiobook.

Within a week, “Doctor Sleep” replaced “Pod Save America” and “Stuff You Missed in History Class” as my dish-washing listen. I became emotionally involved in the story as Will Patton’s creepy and convincing narration wrapped me up in the words.

Books are stories. Stories are comprised of words, and words are words, regardless of whether they’re in visible or auditory form. It took me actually listening to an audiobook to stop me from scoffing at the idea, and now I feel stupid. But that’s okay! That’s growth.

I think so many avid readers roll their eyes at the idea of an audiobook because they think it’s cheating or untraditional. But babes, oral tradition was around long before people began writing on cave walls!

Not to mention (but I’ll mention anyway), listening to books allows for multitasking. Most audiobooks span 10 to 20 hours — think of all the mindless activities you could get done in that time. Folding clothes, cleaning your room, baking a cheesecake — you do you girl! Then when you’re done, just press pause. It’ll be waiting for you when the next chore rolls around.

Also, audiobooks are inclusive of blind folks and people with reading disabilities. Could you imagine telling someone with cataracts “You’re listening to ‘Fifty Shades’ on tape? Pick up a braille version, genius!”

Perhaps most importantly, it’s your life, do what you want. If you want to listen to books, do that. If you prefer to read them, that’s great too. If you’re more of a movie gal, cheers. Maybe it’s more about the content than the medium.

So, I wholeheartedly apologize to audiobooks for the misplaced judgment. I’m also sorry for you, if thou still thinks thy holiness art above books on tape.

Thou art missing out.

Emma Sulski

Loyola '20

Emma is a senior at Loyola University Chicago, where she studies journalism and history. A Chicago native, she loves finding new hole-in-the-wall spots in her favorite city. When Emma’s not writing or working in the Information Commons, she’s probably listening to musicals, watching Marvel movies or reading the latest Stephen King novel.
HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.