Barcelona, ParK Guell
Barcelona, ParK Guell
Original photo by Sarah Sommers
Life > Experiences

A Tourist Guide To Barcelona, Spain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Barcelona, the capital of the Catalonia region in Spain, is known for their art, food, sports, architecture, beaches and so much more. Because of this, the city is a world-famous travel destination. If you ever find yourself in a Mediterranean city, here are the top five things you should do when you are visiting that every tourist needs to do at least once. 

La Sagrada Familia

This basilica is one of the largest in the world and is one of most popular tourist attractions in Barcelona. It was designed by Antoni Gaudi, who designed a lot of popular sites around the city. Construction began in 1882 and as commonly known, the project is still ongoing. Before COVID-19, the expected finish date was in 2026 but now, it has been pushed back and the date is unknown now but this isn’t the first pause in production they have experienced. During the Spanish Civil War, not only did they have to stop construction but they also dealt with anarchists who set fire to the crypt in July of 1936 and ruined some of Gaudi’s plans.

Located in the Eixample District on Carrer de Mallorca, you can visit this Gothic structure by getting tickets on their website with prices that range from 20 to 50 euros, depending on what you want to see. If you get a tour, which is highly recommended, you can get a guide to tell you a more in-depth historical background and you’ll get to see the inside of the beautiful structure. You can see for yourself the difference from the gothic outer design to the bright colorful stained glass windows on the inside.

Barcelona, La Sagrada Familia
Original photo by Sarah Sommers

Park Güell

This tourist attraction is a must, especially if you were a loyal Cheetah Girls fan as a kid. Named after Eusebi Güell, a rich entrepreneur with a great interest and passion for Graudi’s work. Originally, this space was meant for a residential complex but was changed to a plan for a park that could have a fairytale appearance. The architecture is inspired by nature and features tree trunk looking columns, colorful animal statues and geometric shapes (to name a few). There are mosaics throughout the park that measures just over 42 acres (17 hectares). Located on the top of Carmel Hill, in a neighborhood in the Gracia District the park was built in 1900 – 1914 and was open to the public in 1926. 

In 1984, UNESCO declared this park a “World Heritage” site which makes this the perfect tourist attraction. You can find tickets from 10 euros at the entrance of the parks or on their website

Barcelona, ParK Guell
Original photo by Sarah Sommers

Casa Batlló

This tourist attraction, known locally as “Casa dels Ossos” meaning “House of Bones”, isn’t as popular as the others but is worth a look when you are in the Eixample District visiting the La Sagrada Familia. Sitting in the center of the city, this landmark was designed by Antoni Gaudi who redesigned a house in 1904.  Throughout the years, it has been refurbished but still remains a popular tourist spot as it gives off an organized skeleton quality. 

If you want tickets, they can be found on their website. General admission is from 29 euros for adults while kids under 12 are free. If you can’t get a ticket or just want to spend that money elsewhere, this attraction is still a site to see from the outside so be sure to give it a look.

Barcelona, Casa Batllo
Original photo by Sarah Sommers

Spotify Camp Nou 

This football (soccer to Americans) stadium is home to the FC Barcelona team. Even if you aren’t a sports fan, it’s a must-see for tourists visiting Spain wanting to dive into the culture of the locals as football plays a central role in the lives of Europeans. FC Barcelona and Real Madrid, the most commonly known teams from Spain are hugely influential in the football world. Opened in September of 1957, this stadium can currently seat 99,000 fans and hosted the 1982 World Cup.

There are many ways you can see this stadium. You can get a tour and see the museum from 28 euros for the basic tour or 37 euros for more additions like getting on the field. Whatever experience you want, you can find it on their website for tickets and to see what other options are available. You could also get tickets to a game and watch the team in action. This is a great way to see the inside of the world famous stadium and also experience the high-energy atmosphere of the Barcelona fans. Even if you get nosebleed seats, it is quite the experience you must have at least once in your life.

Barcelona, market for tourists
Original photo by Sarah Sommers

Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria

This public market is a great way to not only see a tourist attraction but also taste some local food. Located in the Ciutat Vella District, this market is often referred to as La Boqueria and offers a good variety of goods like fresh fruit, traditional Spanish snacks, meats, seafood and so much more. The creation of this landmark dates back to 1217 when people installed tables near the old city gates to sell meat and other goods. Since then, many different names have come to this area until in 1826, it was illegally recognized. An official structure was built in 1840 by an architect named Mas Vila’ and it was opened the same year to the public.

This is open to the public so you can roam about the market and smell the goods or buy some lunch. Located right outside of this attraction is a paved walkway in between two stresses full of kiosks to get newspapers and souvenirs. This is a great way to enjoy a nice walk to burn those calories from the market or to get some gifts for those loved ones at home. 

spain barcelona abroad street buildings europe cars landscape pretty city .pdf
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

I’ve been to Barcelona twice in my lifetime and each time I went, I tell myself that I’ve done it all and don’t need to return but I am wrong. No matter how many times you visit this iconic city, Barcelona is always a good idea.

Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers