8 Pieces of Advice Every Free-Spirited Girl Should Live By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

As a free spirited girl tied down with the everyday struggles of college life, it is very easy to get side tracked with deadlines, and torn down by societal pressures.  It is important to nurture the wild spirit inside that is at the very core of your being. Here are 8 crucial pieces of advice that every free spirited girl must live by.

#1: Never Grow Up:

Right now it may seem as though you are stuck in a cyclical downward spiral of never ending stress and responsibilities, but these outside circumstances should never affect who you are on the inside. Never give up the chance to roll down a hill, sing at the top of your lungs to that Beyonce song, or dance with as much confidence as your 7 year-old self did. Keep a strong grip on the simple, innocent happiness you once had as a young girl and never fully grow up.

#2: Don’t Trade Your Authenticity for Approval

Stop comparing yourself to others. Don’t you ever think twice that someone is going to like a fake version of you. You are made so uniquely you, with incredible attributes and characteristics that can never be recreated again, so don’t waste this short life on being anything but yourself. Once you commit to this, you will to learn to love every ounce of your being, which you will find is a very attractive quality to have.

#3: Accept Every Opportunity With Open Arms:

The more you welcome new opportunities, the more you will realize how much potential you have. Take every new adventure with a grain of salt, and remember that even the smallest doors can lead to an opportunity of a lifetime. Seek, Go, and Conquer.

#4: Be Courageous:

There are too many experiences and memories you will miss out on if you are just sitting around worrying about what could happen. How about you finally let go of the chains made of fear and anxiety and let yourself free of the worry and doubt of the unknown. Stay courageous my friends, and you will never regret it. Remember: even the most successful people have had a lifetime of failures. But if you never try, you’ll never know.

#5: Be Patient:

The great Elvis once said, “Wise men say, only fools rush in.” And he was right. The most expensive cheeses and wines in the world have been prepared for many years before finally being enjoyed. Apply this to your own life. The best things will come with time. Everyday people take steps to improve the little things in their life. Whether it be school work, relationships, or even your mental health, transformations take time. It takes precious baby steps to get to the place you want to be.  But these transformations do not happen overnight, it will take precious time to get to the place you want to be. Stay focused, stay patient, and your hard work will always pay off in the end.

#6: Be Apart of Something Bigger than Yourself:

Become involved and aware of something bigger than your own existence. Whether this is through God, spirituality, mother earth, or even a set of values to live by, invest in something that will still be around long after you’re gone. This will bring you back down to earth, lower your ego, and keep you on a level-headed playing field. Continue to gaze for the stars and beyond.

#7: Don’t Let Others Control Your Life:

The most important people in our lives, although with good intentions, have the most influential impact on our decisions. They key word here is influence. Don’t ever let yourself become a slave of someone else’s idea of the best path for you. You know what you need best, what your good at, what you love, and what you don’t love, and no one else has the power to change that. At the end of the day, this is your life, and no one else’s; live it for yourself, not to please others.

#8: Stay Focused in Life’s Silver Linings

As most of us probably know by now, life is full of unexpected twists and turns, and most of them are not pretty. You are guaranteed to live a miserable life if you only focus on what you don’t have, rather than on what you do. Bad things have the power to take control of your life, and bring you down with them, don’t give it the chance. Wake up counting your blessings and with a smile on your face, and always be thankful you are given another breath. No one knows how much time we have on this earth, so make the most of it. Take the time to spend with loved ones, meet new people, smell the flowers, listen to a baby laugh, indulge in that piece of chocolate cake even though its not cheat day, and do what makes YOU happy. You will live a full, blessed life if you keep an eye on the silver linings.

Always choose love
I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.