Wellness > Mental Health

10 Things that Get Me Through the Craziness of this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

I am currently a sophomore studying creative advertising and minoring in graphic design. This semester got crazy way too quickly. My weeks include: a full time internship, 5 classes, a part time job, a few clubs on campus – Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Her Campus and AD club – training for a 10k, and maintaining a social life. My days start around 6am because that’s the only time I can seem to fit a workout in, and it usually goes non stop till around midnight. There never seems to be enough hours in the day. If you can relate to this hectic schedule we’re calling life right now, this list is for you. Here are my 10 things that get me through my weeks feeling somewhat sane! 

Disclaimer: these are not in order of importance

Barry’s Bootcamp in Downtown Chicago

I work here, I love the community and the workout is INSANELY good. For an hour someone is telling me what to do and I forget about everything else. It’s awesome. Fitting time for a workout is crucial to me, without it I feel off. Also, training for a 10k means it really has to happen.

Skincare

Anyone who knows me knows I’m a skincare freak (Drunk Elephant I’ll love you forever). I never miss a morning or night time regime. Why does this help keep me in order? Good question. I do not like wearing a lot of makeup, and for me clear, healthy skin keeps me feeling confident. It’s also important for me to keep up with it because my stressful schedule can definitely do some damage to the under eyes and cause the occasional breakout (ugh). Basically, my crazy skincare regime keeps me feeling glowingly confident and we need that in these long days.

Whole Foods Pop Tarts

All my friends know my obsession with these, so stock up. They are so addictive. It’s perfectly sweet without being overbearing and unlike the regular pop tarts, the filling is evenly spread out. The strawberry flavor is my favorite. I love these for a quick grab and go or an after-long-day-treat. I genuinely am so excited to come home to them after a long day. They’re delicious. If you’re thinking of picking some up, I suggest running to your nearest Whole Foods as quickly as possible.

Saying no

When your schedule gets insanely crazy, it gets really hard to say no. You still want to do everything but you’ll overdo it if you try and say yes to it all. This is something I have been trying to practice because I’m someone who nevers ever says no, and you just need to learn it. It definitely takes practice and being patient with yourself. Allow yourself time to think about it instead of rushing into a decision. Decide what you actually know you want. Resist that FOMO and take some you-time – your friends and family will still love you the same.

Meal prep

The meal prep craze…I have become a believer. It has helped A LOT. Coming home and not having to worry about cooking dinner or making lunch for the next day saves me crucial time to get everything else done. And as someone who loves cooking my food the day of, this was a big, but rewarding step.

Boyfriend

My boyfriend and I have been together for over two and a half years now and he’s simply the best. Just knowing he always has my back and will be my sounding board when things start going crazy is something I am so appreciative of. We are in a long distance relationship so phone calls, texts and FaceTimes throughout the week definitely help keep the stress away. I am so lucky to have a man like him to miss. He keeps me laughing and smiling, xoxo. Finding someone to trust, whether it’s a partner, a roommate, a friend etc., helps keep the stress away!

Friends

The friends I have made in college are truly the sweetest people on this planet. Hanging out with them throughout the week and doing fun stuff during the weekend keeps my life fun and spicy. You need that. It is so easy to get overworked and neglect the things that keep you happy. No matter how busy life gets, find time to do some fun things with your friends and family. When I’ve had the longest worst day, grabbing dinner with a couple friends takes all that away.

Calendar 

My best friend is the world’s most organized person and (thank god) she’s rubbed off on me. I now swear by my calendar to know what is going on in my life and to keep it in order. I honestly don’t know what I did before I started using my calendar. Scheduling everything will keep your life in order. You’ll be less stressed once you have a sense of how the day looks and how much time you have for things.

Find Some Me-time

This is tricky. I frequently fall victim to saying, “I have no time, I just need to keep doing this.” Without your “you-time” to keep you happy and sane, you won’t’ perform at your girl-boss level. Take a walk, grab food or lay in bed and do nothing (my personal favorite).Whatever you need to get that mini reset, do it – it works wonders. No matter how crazy your life gets, remember that you come first and you need to do what you need to keep yourself happy.

A Show or Book 

I’m a tv and book binger and I have no shame. Find your new obsession and life will be better. I love watching my show in the morning when I get ready, during my afternoon breaks or before bed. And I love reading my books for my commute and because I can escape into someone else’s world for those 30 minutes. It gives you something to break up the stress and helps you unwind.

This semester has been tough to find balance in and I still don’t have it completely down. But implementing these things that keep me happy is important and helps me keep it together. I hope that you all can find your own happy-balancer to get you through this semester!

Nicole Sister is a Sophomore at Loyola University Chicago. She is earning her bachelors degree in Creative Advertising and Visual Communications. She is an avid fitness fanatic, skincare junkie (#glow), eclectic fashion figure, bookworm, and you can always catch her chasing the latest foodie scenes. Everyone knows her as this bubbly, genuine, sunshine soul.
HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.