10 Reasons Chicago is America’s Best College Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

When you think of a college town, what’s the first place that comes into mind? Is it a city dominated by its university, like Bloomington or Ann Arbor? A quaint little town in the middle of the state? By its very definition, a college town is just that – a town, taken over by the university or college that resides there. But what happens when you think of Chicago? Probably thoughts of the ill-fated Chicago Cubs or the Bears.

But, beyond that, thousands of students attend college in the metropolitan area of Chicago, and we think we’ve got something over the rest of the college towns in America!

1. Culture is right at our fingertips. We don’t have to look at PowerPoint slides of famous artworks or incredible museums. We can just hop on the train and go see it ourselves!
  2. NCAA? Try NFL. Some city universities don’t have NCAA football teams. But who cares? We can count the Chicago Bears as our school team.
  3. Sick of the cafeteria? We have options. One of the best things about Chicago is that it’s a bonafide foodie town. Whether you’re into Greek, Chinese, or just perusing the uptown area, you’ll be able to find delicious eats on any college budget.
  4. Our nightlife doesn’t stop at the local college bar. In addition to being a foodie town, there are amazing opportunities to go out and enjoy your well-earned weekends. Outings include everything from 80’s-themed nightclubs and bars that only serve champagne!
  5. We support “America’s Favorite Pastime.” Chicago is home to the Cubs and the White Sox, the city’s two Major League Baseball teams. Whether you’re a fan of the famous Wrigley Field or the 2005 World Series Champs – Chicago has a home for baseball fans.
  6. You don’t have to shop online from your dorm room. Before transferring to Chicago, I was in a college town where I had to do all my shopping online. Chicago’s Michigan Avenue, known as the “Magnificent Mile,”, has all of the greats and then some – Forever21, Zara, H&M, and designers like Burberry and Saks Fifth Avenue.
  7. Music lovers have come home. Ever heard of Lollapalooza, one of the nation’s largest music festivals? Chicago has a vibrant music scene, with more than 225 venues within the city limits and the Chicago Bear’s Soldier Field also means it’s a mandatory stop on all major stadium tours! (One Direction, anyone?)
  8. You can add to your resume with high-profile internships. Being located in a major city means being located close to businesses! Advertising agencies such as Leo Burnett and public relations agencies like Edelmen are located in Chicago – and always looking for interns!
  9. Instead of the West Coast – think Lake Michigan’s coast. We have the best of both worlds. A skyline rivaled by New York City, and a shoreline that spreads the entire thing! In the summer months you can lay out and work on your tan, or even go boating.
  10. There’s a neighborhood for everyone. If you think New York is diverse, try Chicago. Whether you enjoy fine dining on the Gold Coast or thrift shopping in Wicker Park, there is something for everyone in the best city in America (yes, we went there). 
Molly is the Loyola University Chicago CC, a PR consultant and fashion merchandiser by day, a blogger by night, and a coffee addict all the time. She's a Starbucks and Sephora VIP member, which is both a blessing and a curse, and would rather get Valentino than a Valentine. Her interior design efforts usually incorporate elk, while her wardrobe consists of black, black, and slightly darker shades of black.