Inexpensive Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Spring break is on the horizon, and college students are definitely looking forward to it. A break is definitely needed during the pandemic, and we should take them as safely as possible. Here are five cheap, and safe, vacation options for you and your travel buddies.

In the US, there are many beach destinations and ski resorts that college students can spend their spring break enjoying. Daytona Beach and Destin Beach are both affordable, family-friendly options that still have a nightlife. The surrounding city is cheaper than a standard trip to Miami, Florida. Those beaches are also great options if you aren’t looking for a club scene. Club scenes are also likely to be restricted during the pandemic as well.

Anyone trying to avoid the Florida crowds or if you’re sick of Florida, South Padre Island in Texas is becoming a popular location for college spring breakers. High schoolers haven’t discovered it yet, so it’s even more of a treasure. You can find a good club scene, white sand beaches, and local eats as well. To make things even better, you can rent and ride horses down the beach. It’s definitely an experience to cross of your bucket list!

If you’re looking for a more cultural trip, New Orleans is a great option because the city is not as busy as it is during Mardi Gras. You’ll have a better chance of getting a seat at Cafe du Monde to enjoy world-famous beignets and cafe au lait. You can also stop by local restaurants to try their gumbo or enjoy a crawfish boil. The city is also full of historical stops! The pandemic has limited many of the festivities, but life goes on for New Orleans residents. Visiting in the off-season gives you a better chance to eat like a local.

For those who aren’t looking to go to the beach and want a cooler option, there is always skiing! Whitefish Mountain in Montana is a cheap option and offers on-site lodging. It’s rated as one of the best ski resorts in Montana as well. There are 94 trails and there is a fair split of advanced, intermediate, and beginner courses. The resort is also only 20 miles away from Glacier Park International Airport.

Bon voyage!

Jennifer is a a graduate from the University of Louisville
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!