Style > Beauty

Halloween Makeup Looks for When You Still Want to Dress Up Even if You Can’t Do Anything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

With COVID-19 affecting all of our plans this year, most holiday festivities are being canceled or drastically minimized the event’s attendance rate to help reduce exposures. Many districts and states are even canceling Trick-or-Treating altogether. However, these cancellations and much smaller events do not have to leave you sitting on your couch or bed binging your favorite Halloween movies looking like you normally do. I have created two Halloween makeup looks that you can try with the makeup products you already have in your makeup collection no matter how large or small your collection may be. You may even have something already in your closet that you can throw on to match your spooky look even if you are just watching some spooky movies with a bowl of popcorn or some spooky treats.

A Cute Clown

You can do any color scheme you would like, but I personally chose silver and black because the colors go best with my current wardrobe so I would not have to spend a single penny on a costume. Because of the bold eye look, I strongly recommend doing your eyes before lying down any face products. For this look, I did a cut crease. I started out by priming my lids with an actual eye primer. This step is crucial, especially because this look is a cut crease.

halloween makeup
Original photo by Avery Dill

Using an actual eye primer will prevent your eye makeup from creasing or fading away on the spooky holiday. I then laid down a neutral skin tone shadow to further set my primer. Setting your primer is completely optional, but I find it so much easier to blend my shadows when I do set my primer. I then go in with various shades of grey and black in my crease and outer V. Go in windshield wiper motions in your crease and do not pull your lid. Pulling your lid in any direction can change the shape of your shadows, so just follow the shape of your eye. For a more precise application, hold your brush almost parallel to the floor with your hand closer to the end of the brush instead of the bristles for a softer application. When applying shadow to your outer V, pack on the shadow with a dense eyeshadow brush. Once you are happy with the intensity and shape of your crease and outer V shadows, go in with a blending brush in little circles. You will also hold your blending brush at the end of your brush, but you will go in at an angle to blend your shadows upwards and away from your lid. To create your cut crease, go in with your concealer on a very small concealer brush. Apply one dot with the brush to your lid and look up so you can determine how high up to go with your concealer. Continue to shape out your crease all the way into your inner corner with the concealer. Pack on your desired lid color. As you get closer to your outer V, you may need to go back in with the brush you used on your outer V to blend the shadows together. Pack your lid color on kind of heavy. This will make your color or finish truly pop and create your base for your eyeliner that you will apply after.

Next, wipe off any fallout and go in with your favorite face primer to let your lid dry in case your eyeshadow is not applied heavy enough. I then go in and do my brows. I will brush through them with a spoolie and then go over with an eyeshadow. However, if you prefer a pencil or brow pomade, go ahead and do that. Complete your typical brow routine. I then go in with winged liner. Your concealer should be completely or mostly dry by now, so you should have little to no difficulty applying your liner. I personally prefer liquid, but if you prefer gel or pencil, those are wonderful options. However, if you do wish to apply a wing with a pencil liner, I do recommend making sure the liner is plenty sharp enough to get that iconic wing so many of us strive for.

After completing my brows and liquid liner, I go in with my liquid face products. Doing your primer before your brows and liner will allow time for your skin to absorb your primer. Go in with your favorite foundation and concealer. For your undereye concealer, I recommend one little dot near your inner corner and one or two smaller dots on your outer corner. If you often find your undereye concealer creasing, pat in again with your ring fingers. I personally apply my foundation and concealer with a damp beauty blender. Next, you are going to create your triangles below and above your eyes with a liquid or gel liner to give that iconic clown look. Do not forget to add a little circle on the tip of your nose. I even extended my smile lines at this point. Finally, go over with your favorite setting powder and do a very light contour to complete your face makeup.

Finally, complete this clown look by doing your lips and lashes. I used a black eyeliner on my lips to pull the look together and applied an excessive amount of mascara. Feel free to throw on your favorite pair of dramatic false lashes and go over with your favorite setting spray to lock everything in place. Make sure to pull the eye look together and line your lower lash line with your darkest shadow that you used on your lids.

Cute doll

Doll looks have probably the largest variety out there. You could be Barbie or just a regular doll. Either way, I created a regular doll look for you to enjoy recreating. For my eyeshadow, I did a very simple black smokey eye. Just like with the clown look, I used various shades of grey and black in my crease and outer V and then proceeded to blend the shadows upwards. I then packed a matte black shadow all over my lid and a silver shimmer on my inner corner just to lighten up my eyes a bit.

I then went in with my favorite primer and completed my brows as I would any other day. I then went in and drew on my winged eyeliner to complete my upper eye look. You could go in with a basic line on your upper lash line with a pencil liner or black eyeshadow and smoke it out if you would like, but I personally prefer the dramatic winged eyeliner look.

Halloween makeup!
Original photo by Avery Dill

Next, I proceeded with my foundation and concealer as mentioned above. However, instead of triangles, I did two little lines from the corners of my mouth down to my jawline. I then set my foundation, concealer, and my liner with my favorite translucent setting powder to make my other powder products easier to apply. I applied a neutral brown shadow on my cheeks and over my nose with a tiny pencil brush and then pressed them in with my fingers to create some fake freckles. I then went in with a bright pink eyeshadow as a blush but only on the apples of my cheeks to give that doll effect. When applying your eyeshadow on your lower lash line, make sure you do not go onto your waterline to give that wide-eyed look.

Finally, add on a pink lip and some light feathery lashes. Go in with a natural-looking mascara or some natural-looking false lashes to keep your eyes looking open. Finally, top it off with your favorite setting spray to lock everything in place. Feel free to recreate these looks in any way. They were a lot of fun creating, and I cannot wait to see what you come up with.

Avery Dill

Louisville '22

I am a transfer Junior attending University of Louisville. I was a part of the Brenau Chapter and am now a writer for the Louisville Chapter.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!