Everything You Need to Know to Survive in General Admission

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

In all of my concert experience, I have gotten used to having pretty horrible seats. This has usually been because floor seats tend to be dramatically more expensive, or because growing up, my parents were the ones who picked the seats for me. In a stroke of luck, I managed to get fairly cheap last-minute general admission tickets to see Kacey Musgraves last week, but I had no idea what to expect before I got there. Here’s everything you need to know to make your GA experience a great one:

1. How to Prepare

This is sort of a no-brainer, but if you’re in GA and you want a good view of the stage, you absolutely have to get to the venue early. The more popular the artist is, the more people will be rushing to the front. At the concert I went to, arriving an hour before the time on the ticket got us standing at the barricade, but not close to the center. Keep in mind how committed you are to being front and center before you settle on what time to arrive. If you do decide to arrive early, make sure you’re dressed comfortably, or at least in shoes that you can stand in, or that you won’t mind holding for the rest of the show.

2. Once You Get to the Venue

If there’s going to be any reason you will need to leave your spot, make sure you either have someone that will work to save you a spot, or that you take care of everything ahead of time. That means use the restroom, buy any food or drinks, and snag any merch that might not be available at the end of the show before you get on to the floor. If you’re by yourself, you might meet some nice people near you willing to save you a spot, but there’s no guarantee. 

3. Soak it All In

Once you’re settled in, make sure you enjoy your time. If there’s an opening act, even if you aren’t familiar with them, you should make the most of your experience and try to be engaged and enjoy their performance. If you’re in an arena, there are likely thousands of people there who would love to be where you are. Don’t be the one person ignoring the artist and killing the mood for everyone else. Depending on where you are, the artist can likely see you being disengaged, and it is incredibly disrespectful to all the work they’re putting into performing. Also, be prepared for anything! The audience will likely vary depending on the artist you’re seeing, so make sure to stand your ground to maintain your spot.

With these tips, you’ll be sure to have an unforgettable, up close experience seeing an artist you love!

Callie is a sophomore majoring in Communication and Psychology at the University of Louisville.
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!