Fun College Sorority Girls With Flannels
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

The Dos and Don’ts of Sorority Rush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

A few weeks ago, when I pictured a sorority girl, I pictured someone that could not be more different from myself. I never saw myself in a sorority, and I had no plans of rushing until a last-minute decision 30 minutes prior to the enrollment deadline, influenced by my Greek enthusiast friends. I went into the rush process riddled with fear and doubt, terrified of the thought of rejection, but before I knew it, the girls I met through this process had changed my attitude completely, and I’d fallen in love with Greek Life. Though I had an amazing process, there’s a few things I know would’ve helped me to know beforehand. 

Here are some of my dos and don’ts of rush:

DO gravitate towards where you feel comfortable. Look around the room when you visit the houses and see if you can imagine yourself there surrounded by those girls.  

DON’T wear uncomfortable shoes. After walking from house to house all day, your feet are bound to hurt if you choose the wrong shoes.  

DO wear outfits you feel confident in. This way you are not stressing out about how you look the entire time and you can focus on what is important! 

DON’T pick a chapter just because that is the one your friends are joining. You and your friends’ experiences in each house will be completely different. The house for you might not be the one for them. 

DO have questions prepared. In case your conversation is starting to die out, have some things you want to talk about in the back of your head. 

DON’T make your decision based on a coin flip. Making a pro and cons list can help tremendously, especially after pref round where you have to decide between your top two. 

DO talk to your gamma chi (or whatever your advisor is referred to as since different schools have different names). She has been in the same position as you and can give you advice if you are struggling. 

DON’T go into the process with preconceived notions of the houses. Figure out what you like or don’t like about the separate houses without the influence of what other people have told you. 

DO keep a journal, especially on open house round. You will have so many different conversations which will make it nearly impossible to remember how you felt during each house. Taking notes will help you when it comes down to decision time. 

DON’T forget to bring water and snacks. Some of the days are very long and you will not get a break. 

And most importantly…

DO be yourself! A lot of girls think that they have to put on a facade to showcase who they think the sororities want, but just show them who you actually are! 

Fallon McAllister

Louisville '23

I am currently majoring in Marketing and Management at the University of Louisville where I am a member of the 2019 pledge class for Chi Omega! My hobbies include playing soccer, making earrings, and drinking coffee!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!