This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Drastic measures are being taken to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID 19), and many people are in a state of panic and disarray. While there is no need to panic or overreact to the situation, it is still important to remain cautious while taking reasonable measures to ensure your safety. One of the main problems with our current situation is the lack of toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Many people are scouring the grocery stores surrounding their area in search of these high-demand items, but many of the stores are empty. Luckily for you, I have some ways of dealing with the shortages.

If you cannot find any hand sanitizer, just make your own.  That’s right. You can mix your own hand sanitizer with a few basic ingredients that are still available in the market.  For the basic formula, you can mix three ounces of rubbing alcohol (or 180 proof liquor) with one ounce of aloe vera gel. Just buy a small plastic soap bottle from Walmart, or use one of the travel-sized body-wash containers that you would normally pack in a suitcase to put it in. Don’t forget to mix well before using it. If you want to add a little scent to your sanitizer, feel free to include a few drops of tea tree and lavender essential oil in the mixing formula. 

If you are struggling to find toilet paper, here are some ways of managing. Many grocery stores are implementing restrictions on how much toilet paper and/or baby-wipe products you can buy, so there is likely no need to worry about a long-term shortage just yet. However, you can still use paper towels and napkins if toilet paper is unavailable. If you cannot find any paper towels or napkins at grocery stores, you can try restaurants and fast-food establishments. Now there is no need to raid these places and hoard all of their paper products, but when you go through the drive-through at a restaurant, you can just order extra napkins. Whatever you do, do not flush napkins or paper towels down the commode as that will cause sewage problems. If you keep flushing hard papers down the toilet, you’ll likely need to hire a plumber to unclog your drain, and plumbers are expensive. 

These are just some ways of managing current shortages in the market. Just remember to be cautious and reasonable in your approach to this situation. Do not let panic overwhelm you. Listen to the scientists and the CDC, and do not rely on uncorroborated information you might find on social media while reading news about the COVID 19 epidemic. 

James Tucker

Louisiana Tech '20

James Tucker is an English graduate student at Louisiana Tech University. Due to his background in rural Arkansas, he enjoys writing about the environment and various outdoor recreational activities. During his time at Tech, he has served as a student ambassador of Liberal Arts, and he has also served as both historian and secretary of Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society. James tutors at the Louisiana Tech Writing Center. His favorite areas of research are pre-1660 British lit and British lit from 1790-1920.