A True Balancing Act – Managing Time and Life within College Schedules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

When I came to college, I knew that I wouldn’t be happy just going to school and doing homework. I knew that I would make friends and go to a couple of parties, but I needed to feel like there was more to my life than just school for the next four years. I knew the first thing I needed to do was get a job, so I started working at a gym. I decided that maybe I should also be working out because I’m not doing any sports in college. Slowly, I added more to my plate and discovered that sometimes I can become stressed out, but I feel fulfilled with all I’m doing. I joined two clubs and started going to church. I haven’t done a large amount of activities at once before since I was always overwhelmed with softball in high school. However, I have found that each of the things that I do or am involved in has given a purpose or helped my life during college. 

Church was the most out-of-the-ordinary thing I tried, ironically. I didn’t think that I would go anytime because I’m not that religious of a person. Some work friends invited me to church with them and I found out church helps me relax and get through stressful times.  I realized that’s just I needed while going through college, adjusting to a new environment, and being away from my family.

Another thing I have found fulfilling is working out. It isn’t just important physically but also mentally. I have found I feel more accomplished after an hour-long workout, instead of sitting in my dorm room, binge-watching Law and Order. Every time I go workout I feel I am bettering myself! 

Having a job is also very important, especially when your parents don’t help you out with every little thing. If I need some bathroom stuff, some groceries, or I just want to buy something for myself, I need to come up with the money on my own. I knew that I had to get a job as soon as possible. It fills up my extra time, and since I work on campus, they work around my schedule! I highly suggest getting a job because in college, money goes by fast and can be hard to come by as the quarter goes.

In addition, I decided to add something new to my schedule because I got bored of doing the same thing week after week. After my first quarter, I decided to join two clubs. When looking at clubs to join, do something that interests you! If you hate what you are doing, it won’t be worth it. Another plus to joining clubs is that it introduces you to new people and new activities. New people can definitely uplift you and add a more fun experience to your college years.

All of these different activities are very important in helping you keep a balanced lifestyle. All of these things might help you get involved with the things you love or introduce you to other people. Make sure you carve out some time to yourself, too! These can be things that you love to do that they don’t have a club for, like eating food while taking a nice bubble bath!

I hope this article gives you some ideas of what to do when you’re having a hard time adjusting to college life, and it helps you realize it might be worth it to try something new!

Cammie Ardoin

Louisiana Tech '23

Hi, my name is Cammie and I love music and books. I am also very headstrong and passionate.
Kristen Bastin

Louisiana Tech '20

Technical Writing and Creative Writing student at Louisiana Tech.