This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Webtoon is a mobile reading app with a diverse library of stories called Webtoons. Webtoons are, in short, webcomics. These stories are presented in an illustrated format like those of comic books, manga, or manhwa. Unlike those paper-based mediums though, Webtoon was born in the age of the internet. It is designed to be digital making it a unique, refreshing way to consume entertainment. This platform has demonstrated tremendous growth since its worldwide launch in 2014 and it shows little sign of stopping anytime soon. Here are the top five reasons you should give Webtoon a try.

1: It is free!!!

Unlike other user-generated content sites, such as YouTube, cash inflow for Webtoon creators comes primarily from crowdfunding instead of Ad Sense. This allows the app and use of the app to remain completely free. Not only is it free, but there are no annoying pop-up ads. There are a few ads placed throughout the platform. However, they are few and far between. You’ll never see them while you are scrolling through a story. No ad interruptions here.

2: Many of the stories are becoming an animated series.

Recently, Crunchyroll, one of the world’s top anime streaming sites, released the first thirteen episodes to a platform original series called Tower of God. The thing that makes this show announcement so special is that the story is based on a Webtoon, the same way Harry Potter is based on aa novel or how Marvel movies are based on comics. Other Webtoons such as God of High School have also announced its upcoming animated debut. This opens a whole new world of possibilities where independent creators can gain mainstream recognition for themselves and for production companies to create refreshing, original shows, and movies.

3: You can support independent artists.

Webtoon is a user-generated content platform. Much like how YouTubers create, edit, and upload video content to YouTube, Webtoon creators write, illustrate, and publish original content to Webtoon. Many creators work individually, in pairs, or even on full teams to create a single story. At the top of every Webtoon’s page are different ways to support the Webtoons through crowdfunding (usually through Patreon). Giving the creators funds is not a requirement to enjoy their content, but it is a great way to support your favorite independent creators. 

4: It is easy and convenient.

One of the things that make Webtoons unique from other mediums is its “infinite canvas” format. This just means that the story is read by scrolling through one long vertical strip rather than flipping across multiple pages. This style of storytelling makes reading Webtoons as easy as scrolling through Instagram. Just click, scroll, and read. Simple as that! 

5: It gives you something to do.

Amid this COVID-19 quarantine, many people are looking for ways to stay entertained while at home. Reading Webtoons is a great way to pass time. While some stories are shorter for those who enjoy low commitment reads, they also have stories that are longer with vast lore behind their stories. The Webtoon library contains hundreds of stories across dozens of genres. Drama, Comedy, Romance, Horror, etc. Plus, new content gets released daily, so no worrying about running out of things to read.

In case you were wondering. No, this is not a paid promotion or sponsorship from Webtoon. I just really enjoy the platform. I love the diverse range of stories and creators that have found success from it so go ahead and give it a try! 

Kelsey Blaylock

Louisiana Tech '21

Hi! I'm Kels (They/Them). It's nice to meet you!