This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

I used to read so much when I was younger, and I absolutely loved it. Life tends to get in the way, and we get busy then forget to make time for the things we used to love. I’ve recently resubmerged myself into the world of reading for pleasure and found that my love for reading still exists, and it may for you as well! I would suggest starting with books and stories you already know and love and reread them. This will help jumpstart your reading process and allow your brain not to work as hard when you’re reading.

woman reading book on dock
Photo by Bethany Laird from Unsplash
It can seem hard to find time to read with your already busy schedule, and that’s okay. It doesn’t have to be an everyday thing. Instead of spending time (possibly hours) on your phone, you could read. I have found that reading a chapter or two before bed has helped me fall asleep faster and get a better night’s rest, especially in comparison to watching tv or scrolling on my phone.

I also use reading as an excuse to go lay out in the sun for at least 20 minutes and soak in the warmth. Reading for pleasure can provide a good brain break and still make you feel productive and fulfilled in your day. In case you need a few ideas of series to reread or to read for the first time, here’s my personal list of books I’m reading:

books on bookstore shelf
Photo by Alfons Morales from Unsplash
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

(The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, Titans Curse, The Battle of the Labyrinth, Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian)

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

(Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant)

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan

(The Red Pyramid, The Throne of Fire, The Serpent’s Shadow)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

(The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mocking Jay)

Happy reading!

Hailey Rodgers

Louisiana Tech '22

Hi! I'm Hailey and am currently a marketing major at LA Tech! I love traveling and gaining new experiences along the way (:
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!