This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

With COVID-19 sweeping the nation, most schools and businesses have either temporarily shut down or moved online. The government has encouraged the masses to practice social distancing, and with that, many of us are left feeling overwhelmed with online coursework, unemployment, or, well, isolation. It’s easy to get a little stir crazy or even depressed during a global pandemic, but here are a few tips to find a little normalcy in the chaos. 

Create a Schedule 

With so much free time on your hands, it’s easy to get bogged down in day-long Netflix binges. Creating a schedule can help make the most of your time off, and if you are one of the many continuing course work virtually, creating it may actually save your GPA. Don’t sleep away your days. Come up with a routine that works for you. Whether that includes, classwork, work in general, working out, or simply waking up before noon. Set a routine, and take back some order in your life. 

Silver macbook by planner and flowers
Pexels / Alana Sousa
Try Something New 

For the first time in my lifetime, the government has mandated months of offtime. So, what is something you’ve always wanted to try? Now you have the time to do it. Personally, I’ve been spending my free time on Duo Lingo. Not that I’m suggesting you can learn a new language in the span of a few months, but you can build a solid foundation of a new skill. Interested in learning to play a musical instrument, bake, get into fitness, or anything really? One of the few perks of quarantine is that you now have the time to do it. 

paint
Unsplash
People, People, People 

The emphasis on Social Distancing has made it taboo to interact with large groups, but we sometimes forget that technology has made it a less drastic change than we think. Your friends are a call or a text away. Skype, Snapchat, and FaceTime enable you to see their lovely faces whenever you please. Netflix has even created a party feature where you and your friends can synchronize a movie you are watching and chat about it. While raves are discouraged, small group gatherings are still fine. 

three women lay next to each other on a bed with their feet up in the air.
Katarzyna Grabowska | Unsplash
Be productive. Try something new. Check-in on your relationships, and wash your hands. Stay sane and safe during Quarantine!

Abigail Boothe

Louisiana Tech '20

My life revolves around sweet tea, Subway, and a pup named Scout!