This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

The importance of skincare has increased recently in the mainstream media causing an influx of all types of facial products. The issue with that is not knowing if the products are actually safe, as well as if the product does what it says it’s supposed to do. A blemish a lot of us suffer from is hyperpigmentation. There are so many different products and home remedies for treating it, but only a handful are successful. How does one recognize what is the real deal? By the end of this article, you will be able to find that out all on your own! 

brown eyed woman with makeup product
Photo by Curology from Unsplash

How are they formed?

Everyone gets their skin color from cell structures called melanocytes. Melanocytes produce melanin to mainly protect our skin from the sun’s harmful rays that will cause damage to our DNA. When melanocytes are stimulated it will increase its production of melanin causing a dark spot to appear on the surface of the skin. As we age, these structures tend to get larger, and the skin becomes thinner making the dark spots appear more quickly and bigger. Also, for people of color, dark spots can not only appear more easily but stay longer. However, do not freak out because thanks to today’s research and technology, it is treatable.

woman in water
Photo by Jernej Graj from Unsplash
What causes them?

The top three causes of hyperpigmentation are hormones, exposure to UV rays, and inflammation. Something I learned while writing this is that pregnant women can get dark spot formations around the face like a mask and it’s commonly known as the “mask of pregnancy”. My mind was blown! Another hormonal cause of these dark patches is birth control. Seems like mother nature doesn’t think the current side effects of taking birth control aren’t enough huh? It’s sort of common knowledge that UV rays are one of the causes due to the popularity of tanning, whether in a UV bed or directly in the sunlight. Be very cautious of the undeniable fact that this can lead to skin cancer. Lastly, any kind of inflammation or irritation to the skin like acne, burns, eczema, etc. will cause the skin to darken as it heals. This is totally natural. Despite this, there is a way to counteract this reaction.

natural sun in the sun
Photo by Kori Nori from Unsplash

How to treat them?

When looking at products that target hyperpigmentation look for these top active ingredients: licorice root, vitamin C, hydroquinone, and azelaic acid. The licorice root will help because of its two components, glabridin and liquirtin. Glabridin stops the enzyme that is responsible for producing melanin. Liquirtin breaks down and rids the skin from excess melanin. Vitamin C has also been proven to not only slow down the production of melanin but also prevent wrinkles due to an increase in collagen. Hydroquinone stops the process of dark spots from progressing. Finally, azelaic acid is powerful enough to inhibit the actual melanocyte as well as the enzymes responsible for making melanin before it starts. In addition to any of these, you decide to use for skincare routine during the day, always end it with sunscreen. That includes us fellow POCs, just because we rarely get sunburns doesn’t mean sunscreen isn’t beneficial. While knowing what each ingredient does should help in knowing which one is appropriate to use at a certain time. 

woman laughing with clear skin
Photo by Kim Carpenter from Unsplash
I am aware of all the YouTubers and skincare gurus out there that will try to convince you that a single method or product will magically cure those dark blemishes overnight. Do not dive headfirst into a new skin regimen without doing some research on it first. Sadly, not all products are made equal for all skin types. This way no irreversible damage can be caused. If all else fails, there are two other options. First are a few medical procedures, for example, a chemical peel, but anything to that degree should 100% be discussed with a doctor beforehand. Also, just embracing your new beauty marks. Dark spots are essentially harmless and extremely common, so there is no wrong in loving all the marks and blemishes on your face. Your beauty will still shine terrifically! 

All credits due to this link https://eminenceorganics.com/ca/blog/2017/06/14/3-top-reasons-you-have-dark-spots-your-face#:~:text=When%20stimulated%20by%20harmful%20UV,causing%20dark%20patches%20of%20skin.

Brianna Fielding

Louisiana Tech '22

Hello! I am junior at LA Tech University. My major is Medical Technology but what I really love to do is be creative. Whether it is DIY projects, sewing, painting, etc. Random fact:I love sunflowers and roses! (Best combination of flowers to me) ^_^
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!