Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Spot Green Flags in Your Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably bombarded any happily married couple that will listen to you with that age-old question: “How will I know when it’s true love?”. I may not have the answer for you yet, but  *fingers crossed* that I will be one half of a hopelessly in love married couple one day. 

man and woman on bikes at sunset
Everton Vila
Until then let’s learn about “green flags”. You may know the signs that could indicate an unhealthy romantic or platonic relationship, otherwise known as “red flags”. “Green flags” are the exact opposite and are a great starting point for evaluating whether the way you and a loved one are interacting is positive and sustainable. 

Photo of a "Love" sign
Rebecca Karlous
A willingness to overcome differences rather than giving up on each other is an important “green flag”. Differences of opinion are littered throughout every relationship, ranging from what temperature to set the thermostat on, to what city you want to settle down in. As arguments and concerns about different views and desires arise, do you both set out to communicate and see it through to the other side, or do you run for the hills? Leslie Malchy, a Relationship psychotherapist says that “The differences themselves are not as much of the red or green flagging at this point in the relationship as much as HOW you handle the differences”. 

two people holding hands
Photo by Albert Rafael from Pexels
Another green sign is that you feel comfortable being, and are even encouraged to be, your most “you” version of yourself. Being able to drop the many facades we all put on for our various roles in life provides much-needed relief. If your friend or romantic partner is a safe place for you to relax and act as you would if you were alone then you may have yourself a keeper!

Taylor Linke

Louisiana Tech '21

Taylor Linke is a Senior Forestry student at LA Tech with a concentration in Forest Management, and a contributing writer under the La Tech HC Chapter. She enjoys getting outdoors, being active, and painting.