Career

Graduation: A Long-Awaited Time of Impending Doom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Ever since I was in high school, I dreamed of graduating from college and starting my life. With less than four months away from graduating, I honestly feel sick and scared.  For the first time in my life, I will not be a student which is all I have ever known for as long as I can remember. I have to start a full-time job, get a house or apartment, and start living my life outside of college. For the first time, no one will be taking roll as I sit in my class. I won’t just be listening to subject matter experts, I will be the subject matter expert. 

One of the biggest reasons I am stressed is because of the answer to the one question that everyone asks, “What are you going to do next?” You can’t say “I don’t know” or just run away like I would like to. You smile and say “I am still interviewing to choose my best option” even if it isn’t true at all. 

I thought I had done everything right in college. I took my hard classes first, and I did my best to save my easiest classes for last. I can tell you now that it doesn’t matter. I am still on the floor, stressed out about every single class, whether they’re easy or not. These “easy” classes determine whether or not you are graduating. If you even slip up a little bit, you delay graduation and any job offers. Some jobs will retract their offer if you don’t graduate on time, which is more stress than you’ve ever had in your life and it’s all for one moment to walk across that stage to get your diploma. 

One thing you should take away is to understand that you are going to be okay, just as I am going to be okay. It’s a lot of stress and pressure, but it’s something you have waited your whole life to finish. You should also know that you’re not alone. Go seek help! I see a counselor to help me get through this big change in my life, and it’s one of the things that keeps me grounded. Don’t overload yourself. It’s great to be involved but in the end, you are finishing what you came to college to do and you need to make sure that happens. Ultimately, enjoy your last time as a student. You may never see some of these people again, so don’t waste time on things that don’t matter. 

Alicia Centers

Louisiana Tech '20

I am a junior Cyber Engineering major who just enjoys hanging out with awesome gals outside of school!