This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

As Valentine’s Day quickly approaches, many people without significant others are feeling a sense of dread, the fear of missing out, and maybe even a hint of bitterness. We fall into a “Valentine’s Day is a holiday created by Hallmark to sell more cards” kind of slump and opt-out of the festivities altogether. However, singledom does not necessarily amount to a secluded night at home. Singles can enjoy Valentine’s Day too! 

Misconceptions about Singles 

Over the years, a stigma has begun to surround the single life, and as a result, it has tainted the holiday for those without SO’s. “Forever alone” and “wife me up” has permeated social media captions, and phrases like “Get you someone who can *insert necessary relationship quality here*” has emphasized the relationship-centered mindset of modern culture. However, despite what society may have you believe, single is not synonymous with spinster. Many people are single by choice. Maybe they prioritize other areas of their life, or maybe no one has piqued their interest. Some might have recently gotten out of a relationship, and others may be embracing the fun that accompanies the single life. Regardless of the reason, being single does not mean that you are unlovable or defective. 

The Reason for the Season 

While heart-shaped jewelry and oversized teddy bears might not be your forte, the theme of Valentine’s Day is love. It’s a time to show the people you care about how much they mean to you. Advertisements tend to lend themselves to love of the romantic variety, but as Parks and Rec protagonist Leslie Knope reminded us through Galentine’s day, the holiday extends itself to friendship. Grab your friends and go out. Watch a movie or go dancing. Do whatever you want to do with whoever you want to do it with because you have no obligations. 

The Perks 

Believe it or not, being single has some fun perks that might actually make it the preferable option this Valentine’s day. The uncoupled up have realized that they are not alone, and as a result, single mixers are all the rage. Cocktails, conversations, and you don’t have to shell out money on roses and candies or pretend to like mushy greeting cards and assorted chocolates? Yes, please! 

Love your friends. Love yourself. And embrace being single. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Abigail Boothe

Louisiana Tech '20

My life revolves around sweet tea, Subway, and a pup named Scout!