This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Returning back to college can be nerve-wracking. Almost exhausting as we think of it. Getting past the first year in 2018, for me, was exhilarating but terrifying at the same time. Similar to reaching the peak of the rollercoaster and plummeting downwards as you scream. See as a generation, us Gen-Zers find communication to be as bothersome as our work. Professors, classmates, and roommates can feel intrusive to many, but on the other hand, the door we were waiting to walk right through.

College, they say, is full of opportunities. It’s what you make of it. While quarantined at my home, we have still fallen into those secluded coves otherwise known as clubs, groups, or posses & we wonder, HOW? How dare we socialize? There must be more studying to do. There has to be a job I can acquire. Two won’t hurt. Somehow a love for work feels better than falling for that cute guy in your Psych class. We become enchanted in our lives, and that tragically is what frightens us. College is a time to enjoy life. Whether you’re an incoming freshman, veteran junior, or three-year transfer. College may bring more butterflies than ever before.

group studying
Photo by Marvin Meyer from Unsplash
Utilizing Your Peers

As I said, students find themselves locked aware in their own bubbles, jamming to their favorite Travis Scott song, oblivious to the others around them. Oftentimes, cellular devices being their sole source of communication. Due to Corona, I write this cautiously; we must mask up, but remember to socialize and intermingle more than a few texts and solid emoticons. Facetime is an excellent example of relying on our resources in such a dire time when we should communicate and let our friends and family know we are there, in the most literal sense. Use these interrelationships with dear old dad or your friend from the Theatre club to access the best version of yourself, and you may never know you could be helping them. Times like this, where a Nation is continuously being divided, we must spread love, support, and care for each other. College can be horrifying, and so can social anxiety but we must not let those anchor weigh us down! 

Bianca Houser

Louisiana Tech '23

Hi I'm Bianca H, some call me Terra. Focused in Liberal Arts and classifying as a sophomore with spunk! Usually, drawing and socializing. Catch me on campus next year but due to Pandemic we'll only communicate through the Web. Peace, love and curls!
I'm a Junior Creative Writing major and Editor in Cheif for the Her Campus chapter at Louisiana Tech University, who hopes to be a professional writer/editor one day! I love to joke around, but also talk about critical moments in my life and those that surround me to hopefully offer entertainment and guidance to my readers!