Will You Accept This Rose? My Picks for Who Should Replace Chris Harrison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Chris Harrison has made headlines in recent weeks after his comments supporting The Bachelor season 25 contestant, Rachael Kirkconnell. Audiences have accused Kirkconnell, who is in Matt James’ top four, of liking and posting racist photos. In particular, Kirkconnell participating in an antebellum plantation-themed fraternity party in 2018 has been circulating the internet. During a February 9 extratv interview with season 13 bachelorette, Rachel Lindsay Abasolo, Harrison said that audiences need to “have a little grace, a little understanding, a little compassion” when it comes to Kirkconnell.

However, Chris, this is 2021, and people do not and cannot “have a little grace, a little understanding, [or] a little compassion” anymore for racism. Whether or not something occurred in 2000 or yesterday, racism is still racism, and accountability matters more than ever. This is also not the first time that a Bachelor franchise contestant has been accused of racist acts on social media. While this definitely won’t be the last either, change starts at the top, and removing the host of nearly 19 years is where ABC needs to start. I, along with a lot of other people, support the #RemoveChrisHarrison Twitter movement, and being the avid Bachelor fan that I am, I have been thinking about who might replace the previously beloved host. Here are my top five choices, in no particular order, of who should replace Chris Harrison.

Rachel Lindsay Abasolo

I obviously have to include the queen herself, Mrs. Rachel Lindsay Abasolo. Rachel is a success story of the franchise, and she is now married to the final rose of her season, Bryan Abasolo. During her season, Rachel led with grace and was unapologetically herself. She is known for being a progressive voice of the franchise, and she is vocal about social justice issues. Rachel has no problem calling out the franchise’s flaws, and she is the voice of reason for The Bachelor. Similar to Ben, as a lead and a previous contestant, Rachel understands both what the lead and the contestants endure while they are on the show and when they leave.

Ben Higgins

Ben Higgins was the bachelor of season 20 and a contestant on Kaitlyn Bristowe’s season of The Bachelorette. He continues to regularly make appearances on the franchise to provide leads with advice and to host group dates. Higgins, who is engaged to Jessica Clarke, now owns and operates Generous Coffee Co. and is the co-host of the “Ben and Ashley I Almost Famous Podcast.” Higgins provides audiences with great advice and insight on the show and on life in general whether it be on TV or on his podcast. His background as the show’s lead will help him as a host to understand firsthand what the other leads endure and therefore offer thoughtful insight.

Wells Adams

The Bachelor has been priming Wells Adams to be the host of the franchise. He was a contestant on Jojo Fletcher’s season of The Bachelorette, and after that, he was a bartender on Bachelor in Paradise. While on BIP, Adams provided contestants with thoughtful insight as he watched their relationships from an outside perspective, and he helped them to navigate issues that arose. Adams is definitely a franchise favorite for his quirky personality and intelligent advice. He’s been engaged to Sarah Hyland since Summer 2019, so he obviously knows what being in a serious, committed relationship entails.

Ashley “I” Iaconetti Haibon

Ashley I is “Bachelor royalty.” Fans became invested in her and Jared Haibon’s on-again-off-again relationship in 2015, and the couple has now been happily married since Summer 2019. As Higgins’ podcast co-host, Ashley also provides audiences with often unique perspectives. She is known for being an open book on social media and often talks about her struggles with cystic acne, sex and virginity, and most recently, conception. Audiences fell in love with her kind soul and her openness to find love. She isn’t afraid to own her emotions and wear her heart on her sleeve. Ashley continually put herself and her heart out there for love, and she would encourage leads and contestants to do the same.

Tayshia Adams

Tayshia is one of the most beloved bachelorettes ever. Graceful, effervescent, and very entertaining to watch, Tayshia followed her heart and was decisive with her decisions leading her to find love with Zachary Clark. Adams captivated audiences with her willingness to explore relationships and her maturity. As a previous lead and contestant, Tayshia will understand the perspectives of both the leads and the contestants. Adams was the breath of fresh air that season 16 of The Bachelorette needed, and she can be the same for the franchise.  

Nikki is a senior at LMU from Honolulu, Hawai'i and is majoring in Communications Studies with minors in Journalism and Health and Society. She is also the president of Her Campus LMU.
Her Campus LMU