This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I was never one to do things by myself. If I do, I’m constantly thinking about what others think of me. However, during the peak of the pandemic, I began to be comfortable with spending time with myself. I couldn’t see my friends anyways, so I learned to enjoy hanging out with myself.

The movie theater was always different, though. I love going to the movies. There has been more than one instance where I haven’t watched a movie in theaters because I had no one that was interested in going, so why haven’t I gone to the movies by myself yet? COVID aside, it’s a public setting, and though not inherently social while the movie is playing, every theater I’ve been to has always erupted with discussion the moment the movie is over –  everyone turning to their friends to pick apart every scene. I didn’t want to be the only one sitting there with no one to talk to. 
But I finally did it. September 2 marked my glorious return to the movies, but this time by myself. With none of my friends interested in watching the new Marvel flick Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, I decided to use this as an opportunity to try something new, and now I’m never going back. A self-date to the movies was an experience more positive than I could ever imagine. Here are three reasons why you should go to the movies alone:

Being by yourself at the movies is a logistical heaven

Going by yourself means less time and brainpower you have to spend planning and coordinating your trip to the movies with your friends. Maybe your friend couldn’t care less about the trailers and wants to show up 15 minutes after the posted showtime, but you want to arrive 20 minutes before the movie to get situated. Maybe your friends want to bring snacks from home while you want to take the opportunity to relish in the theater popcorn. 

Sitting next to your friends in the theater can sometimes be a hassle in itself. I would find myself worrying about what my friends are thinking about the movie instead of providing the movie my undivided attention. More importantly, going by yourself means you are never someone’s go-to person to ask any questions or make any comments; all you have to pay attention to is your viewing experience, not your friends’. 

Most importantly, there is no one (or lack of someone) to hold you back from watching the movies you want to see. Going by yourself means you can go see whichever movie you please at whatever time you please; it’s all up to only you!

It’s more immersive and introspective

Going by yourself makes the movie-going experience more immersive and allows time to reflect, both on the movie and yourself. First, if you’re by yourself, you get to form an opinion wholly of your own. If I’m watching a TV show, I always let myself form my own thoughts and opinions before I head onto the internet to see the discussion, so why shouldn’t movies be the same? 

The actual act of going to the movies alone allows for reflection past the movie you’re watching. The lines of work and play are still blurry, especially considering hybrid school and work, so sometimes you need an opportunity to get out of the house and have fun on your own. There’s a difference between spending time for yourself and spending time for others. When you spend time with yourself, you can reflect on your feelings and appreciate your surroundings, meanwhile with others, you tend to focus on how you fit into the group dynamic. Create time for yourself that allows you to have fun. There’s something so personal about spending time with yourself, even if it is in a public setting.

You can disconnect, even just for a little bit

If I am by myself at home, I am still constantly connected to others through my phone, so there is often never a time I can truly and easily be completely disconnected. Going to the movie theater alone, though you are still in proximity to other people, can create that space for disconnection. You have to turn your phone off anyways because you’re watching a movie, so reframe that action into creating a space for reflection on yourself and the movie. 

Admittedly, disconnecting can be stressful and even a little scary. If someone can’t reach you for upwards of two hours because you are alone with your phone off, you can start to spiral thinking about the possibilities of what could happen in those two hours. But at the same time, disconnecting can create a sense of peace, even if only for a little bit. For a short stretch of time, you are allowed to only focus on yourself and the movie rather than thinking about a million different things when you’re with others or on your phone.

Going to the movies alone is never something I thought I would so strongly recommend. Don’t be embarrassed about going by yourself; no one is judging you. The theater is dark and everyone is focused on the movie, not you! It’s not just about going to see a movie in the theaters by yourself, it’s about feeling comfortable in spending time with yourself and deliberately creating a space for yourself to have fun without worrying about others. Though I have only done it once, I’ve already created a mental list of all the movies I will enthusiastically go watch alone. Catch me on my next self-date to the movies slurping a Coca-Cola icee and watching Last Night in Soho!

Valentina Zamarian is a Senior Communication Studies major, double minoring in Public Relations and Women's and Gender Studies.
Nikki is a senior at LMU from Honolulu, Hawai'i and is majoring in Communications Studies with minors in Journalism and Health and Society. She is also the president of Her Campus LMU.