Why Everyone Should Start Using Pinterest (If You Haven’t Already)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

When you think of the most popular social media platforms today in 2021, you probably think of Instagram, Twitter, or TikTok. What most people do not realize is how underrated and underappreciated Pinterest actually is. I have used this platform for years now and never feel like enough people talk about how great it is. 

You can use Pinterest to plan out any aspect of your life, whether that be workout routines, your future bedroom aesthetic, fashion inspiration, or recipe ideas. You can organize all of your ideas into “boards,” and give them a proper title, and then pin individual pictures of ideas into the appropriate board. I love this because it is super organized and easy to reference. Most of the photos also have direct links to the products featured, making it easy to purchase whatever you would like. 

Another perk about using Pinterest is that there is no social pressure like other social media platforms have. You can follow your friends, however, there is no such thing as likes or retweets. There is no worrying about whether you hit a certain number of posts per month, and is just generally a lot chiller than anything else we are using on our phones these days. It really is there to help us plan things out and have fun! The possibilities of this platform are endless, and you can even create shared boards with your friends! This was really handy when my roommates and I were planning apartment decor for this school year – we were all at home due to the pandemic and used our shared boards to gather together all of our inspiration. 

I love this application so much because it is a space for everyone to express themselves however they would like. I know other apps like Instagram can be intimidating for people to fully be themselves because there is this unspoken rule to look, dress, or act a certain way. This is not the case for Pinterest – you can go whichever direction you want to go with it! If you haven’t hopped on the Pinterest train yet, I highly recommend doing so. It is one of my favorite pastimes and genuinely therapeutic to me. 

Happy Pinning!  

Hi, my name is Domenica, I am 21 years old, and I am from the Chicago suburbs in Illinois. I am a junior at LMU and love it! I am currently a Psychology major with a double minor in Spanish and Business Administration and am really enjoying it so far. I joined the HerCampus team during the second semester of my freshman year and love writing articles in all areas for everyone to enjoy.
Her Campus LMU