What to Expect When You Try the Diva Cup for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

First things first, in case you’ve never heard of it, let me give you a rundown of what the Diva Cup actually is. This device is a reusable silicone menstrual cup that collects your flow instead of absorbing it. 

Yep, that description made me pretty uneasy too. I’ve been a strict tampon user for years and I’ve never really considered changing my menstrual routine. However, after reviewing the Diva Cup’s packaging, I was very compelled by many of their sales points. Before even trying it out, I realized that the Diva Cup was already beating out my tampons in a few different categories. First of all, you can wear the cup for up to twelve hours, which is basically double the time of a tampon. For me, this meant sleeping in without waking up at the crack of dawn to change out my tampon. Second, the Diva Cup is both environmentally and economically friendly. Since it is reusable, the cup cuts down on waste and can save you money over time. The Diva Cup retails at around $30, and since you only have to buy one, this investment can save you some serious bucks on pads and tampons. 

Once I understood the benefits of switching to the cup, I was a little less nervous to try it out. Then, I opened the very lengthy directions and got nervous all over again. Basically, you have to fold up the cup, insert it, then push it up more, then twist it 360 degrees and re check the positioning. Long story short, this wasn’t exactly a quick or comfortable process. That being said, I’m sure inserting the cup becomes much easier once you get the hang of it. Once the Diva Cup was in place though, I was shocked that I really couldn’t feel it at all. At first there was a bit of a cramping discomfort, but overall I felt totally mobile and normal. 

The only real downside I found with the Diva Cup was during the final steps when I had to remove it. I wasn’t really able to pinch the cup together so it was a bit painful to take out. It did prove to be totally leak and spill free though! However, cleaning the cup out was less than glamourous. I don’t think I would ever be comfortable using it in a public bathroom because you do have to dump out your menstrual discharge and then wash out the cup with soap and water. I definitely wouldn’t want to gross out other girls at the communal sink. 

Overall, I was pleased with my Diva Cup experience. I don’t know if I will fully switch over to only using the cup, but I think I will include it in my routine from time to time. The cup really does offer many benefits so I would highly recommend that every girl tries being a Diva at some point!

Her Campus LMU
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.