What To Do When You Overbook Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

First of all, let me just say that this gif is applicable to everything right now, especially with finals week drawing nearer. As homework picks up and assignments are getting more complicated, everyone has less and less time for their extracurricular activities. You may be feeling like you can’t handle it all. Good news, YOU CAN! The first step to handling any difficult situation is acknowledging that you can handle whatever life throws at you. You may feel overwhelmed looking at all your work… Take a deep breath and remember that you can handle it! Here are a few more tips to make the most of managing multiple obligations:

1. Make a to do list.

Oftentimes, just listing out all that you have to do can help you relax a little. Looking at everything on paper is a lot less daunting than trying to keep track of it all in your head.

2. Tackle the small responsibilities first.

This way, you can feel good about crossing a lot of things off your to do list! You will be feeling more capable and positive by the time you have to work on the really big tasks!

3. For larger tasks, plan out how you can work on them a little each day.

Don’t leave a giant paper to the night before. I know we’ve all done it, but it’s just a recipe for panic. If you break the paper (or any large task) into manageable chunks and do a little each day, a daunting task becomes one that is not so bad after all! Sometimes I give myself a few days off, that way I can have a break (or if I procrastinate and don’t do my part one day, I have built in buffer time so I’m not behind schedule!)

4. Remember to make time for yourself and your friends.

This is sooo important! Even though you are busy, you will feel so much better if you still make time for your friends and for yourself. Don’t spend all weekend at your desk. Plan a fun outing with friends or take time to relax and binge a new Netflix show!

5. Reward yourself after you complete a big task!

You’ve worked hard! Acknowledge your accomplishments with dinner and dessert from your favorite restaurant or a night out with your best friends!