This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Studying at Loyola Marymount 

As finals week approaches, everyone is at least a tiny bit tired of the same chair or study room we work in. The peacefulness of the library seems almost mocking amidst the chaos of finals. Although we are blessed with the beauty of the bluff alongside our stacked planner and to-do list, sometimes quiet is TOO quiet. 

University Hall, or U-Hall, is honestly a perfect place for getting work done due to the minimal noise with occasional scurrying in between classes. The cute little trees and rays of sunlight make you feel like you’re outdoors, and the scent of Einsteins keeps your tummy warm. However, U-Hall has numerous downsides. Not only are the chairs on the bottom floor SO hard, but the tables are also full the majority of the day. After classes, U-Hall is pretty much dead, and it can feel eerie to be in such a massive building alone. 

Then, there’s the Lion’s Den. Don’t get me wrong, I love The Den. However, I KNOW we all go to the den to “study” but by “study” we actually mean gossip and complain about how much we need to study. The Lion’s Den is great to catch up on mini assignments and respond to emails, but it is mostly a place to participate in a communal cry for help as all students stress and cram for final exams and final papers. 

Between the library, u-hall, and the lion’s den, it’s hard to find an environment that balances the unbearable silence and comforting white noise. So, what else is there?

Empty Classrooms!

Most students don’t realize most classrooms are empty after three or four. I personally opt for second-floor St. Roberts Hall classrooms since they have such a pretty view of the sunken garden around sunset. However, University Hall classrooms are nice and cozy. It can be a bit daunting at first because it’s difficult to anticipate if there will be a meeting later in the afternoon or evening, but what’s the worst that can happen? If someone is already studying in a classroom, just ask to join and you have a free study partner!

The Lair!

I know it sounds a bit gross to put your books on the sticky tables of the cafeteria, but nothing a quick wipe can’t fix! The Lair is honestly perfect for studying; complete with a variety of chairs, large tables, and several outlets, it’s easy to lose track of time in there. Most students study on the far left of the lair, closest to the view of Sunken Garden. Not only is this side less busy, but it also has the best lighting. 

The Cave!

Those apart of campus ministry know the cave well. Underneath the chapel, the cave is very secluded for those of you that prefer a quieter space. This one is probably the most difficult to reach as it is often closed during the daytime and then occupied with clubs or groups in the evening. However, the campus ministry is unbelievably understanding and welcoming. If you knock, they will answer, If you ask to study there, they will let you.

Life Science, Burns Fine Arts, and Howard B. Fitzgerald!

Considering how pretty these buildings are inside and out, it’s pretty surprising how more students don’t take advantage of them! There are numerous seating areas surrounding and filling both Burns Fine Arts Center, the Life Science Building, and Howard B. Fitzgerald Pavillion. Take a friend and explore! There’s a good chance you might find a spot you’ll like.

Off-Campus!

Believe it or not, you CAN go off-campus to study! Sometimes going to an entirely new place altogether motivates you to work, as it cuts you off from other distractions. When studying on-campus, it’s easy to just give up and walk to the dorms or lay down in sunken because it’s only a few steps away. When you actually put in the effort to drive away to a cafe, public library, or seating area, it motivates you to take advantage of the study environment. 

Hey! I'm a Psychology Major at LMU. More than anything, a college girl's priorities should undoubtedly be health, wellness, self-care, and self-love. I'm here to help with that. :)