Total Sorority Moves that Aren’t a #totalsororitymove

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

“Joining a sorority is pretty much buying your friends”

“Of course she’s a frat sweetheart, she’s slept with all of them”

“How are they all SO in love with their Bigs, they don’t even know them”

These phrases often ring throughout the halls and campuses of colleges and universities staining the vulnerable minds of those considering joining a Greek organization around the time of recruitment. They often stem from a place of defiant repute of those who misunderstand what it means to be in a sisterhood or those deemed as GDI’s (God damn independents) by Greek life participants. Nonetheless, Instagram accounts like Imshmacked and TotalSororityMove don’t make upholding a respectable position and admirable character in choosing to join feasible. Depending on your intentions, you can live up to expected catty stereotypes or you can become a resemblance of women empowerment, character-building, and participating in a value-based, supportive community. Whatever you choose, or put into it, is what you will get out of it.

There’s so much more to your membership in a sorority than being part of a #totalsororitymove.

• Getting to go to events, formals, and retreats throughout the semester with your best pals that are organized for you is totally sorority.

• Asking your sorority facebook group if someone has an extra charger or if someone will bring you food in the library and getting a ton of offers by your sisters to go out of their way is totally sorority.

• Always having a gym or lunch or coffee buddy is totally sorority.

• Going to chapter and talking about what your philanthropy means to you is totally sorority.

• Constantly being driven and inspired by other women is totally sorority.

• Finding connections and job opportunities during school and after graduation is totally sorority. Sharing your life with people who care and push you to be the best version of yourself is totally sorority.

• Finding best friends, roommates, and people you want to raise your kids with is totally sorority.

• Having a familiar face at almost every campus event or school environment is totally sorority.

So what I pay to be part of organization each semester? I also pay for Netflix and SoulCycle, but no one is shaming me for those. So what I met an older girl who is like me and acts as a role model in my life, and maybe that’s why I LOVE MY BIG SO MUCH?!

If all these are total sorority moves, then you can condemn my srat girl life all you want.

LMU Senior. Marketing Major/Studio Arts Minor. DG gal. Ms. Worldwide