Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness

Tips to Stay Calm During Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again that every college student dreads. Midterms can be a very stressful time because more likely than not, you’ll have multiple exams, papers, or projects due at the same time. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed or not know where to start with assignments, so I decided to offer some tips. Keep in mind that everyone’s midterm season is going to be different and there is no universal guideline on how to handle it. These are just some methods that I find effective after facing many different midterm experiences. 

List all deadlines

This is by far the most useful tool for me. I personally go through all my classes and list my deadlines first by date that they are due. This gives a clear visualization of your timeline with assignments and shows how much time you have to get them done. I recommend making this list as soon as you can. 

Figure out which assignments will need more time than others 

You don’t have to complete your assignments in order just because an assignment is due earlier. Some assignments will take more time than others, so you need to manage your time for that. Maybe you have a big test at the end of the week but two papers before then. Don’t wait to study for the test until your papers are done. Everyone has a different approach to handling multiple assignments. Pick the best one for you and stick with it. I know personally I like to switch between bigger assignments and smaller assignments so I don’t get overwhelmed. 

Start early

This is pretty self-explanatory. The earlier you start, the more prepared you will feel. All-nighters should be used as a last resort, not the standard. A good night’s sleep before a big exam will actually help you more in the long run too. 

Take breaks

I know we are in the middle of a bug “hustle” culture, but it’s ok to take breaks. Don’t overwhelm yourself with a large workload in one day. Schedule breaks into your study time like going for a walk, listening to music, or hanging out with friends. This break time will allow your mind to relax and reset when you go back to studying. 

Take care of yourself

Eat and drink enough, get some exercise, sleep, and most importantly listen to your body. If your body is telling you to slow down, do it. Midterms don’t need to take up your whole life as long as you maintain a healthy mindset by taking care of yourself first. Your grades will thank you for it. 

Have a positive mindset

It’s easy to get caught up in pessimism during midterms. To fight this, give yourself positive affirmations while studying and before you take an exam. Having a positive attitude is so beneficial and will give you a better headspace while completing midterm tasks. This can help ward away stress if you remain confident in yourself and know how amazing you are. Also make sure to keep this mindset, even after the midterm season is finally over. 

Ava Calpino

Wisconsin '22

Ava Calpino is a senior strategic communication major at UW Madison. She previously wrote for LMU's chapter. She loves writing, the environment, and cute animals.
Her Campus LMU