Tips for Registration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By Maddie Mackler  

I’m not going to sugarcoat it: registering is a nightmare.  There are so many things that could go wrong for a process that has been done for years.  It’s always nice to have a little reassurance that everything is going to be okay, so here’s a list of tips for registering.

Have a backup schedule

Always have multiple schedules that you can register for.  That way if one of your classes doesn’t work out you have a full backup plan.

Get overrides for more classes than you need and ahead of time

If you know you need overrides for some classes, get all of them before registration; you don’t know which classes will fill up. You don’t want to have to be waiting for a professor or administrator to get back to you, because they have plenty of other students that they also need to help.

Check class availability right before you register

Most likely, people won’t take spots right before your registration time.  Allow yourself enough time to check all of your availability, so you have a plan of attack when it’s your time.

Register for the class that will fill up the fastest

Don’t order you classes by what you want or what you need the most. Register first for the class that will fill up, then classes you need, followed by the ones you just want.

Have a notes page open to copy and past class numbers

Make sure you have a notes or whatever page open on your laptop and that it shares the screen with the registration page. It makes it easier to copy and paste.

Register for classes one at a time

This helps you get the classes that will fill up the quickest. Copying and pasting all the numbers takes more time. Plus you get that excited rush after you get at least one class.

Know that everything will be alright.

Every single registration that I’ve had, something has gone wrong. Whether it’s overrides not working or a class filling up, something is bound to go wrong. Don’t worry, you aren’t going to get kicked out. The best advice I can give you is to just breathe, because in the end everything has always worked out.

Her Campus LMU