Tatted: Four Students Tell the Story of Their Tattoos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

As someone who loves and is addicted to tattoos, I can’t help but notice when a girl near me has a rad one herself. Tattoos are so personal and intimate, and the story behind them is always amazing.  Sometimes it’s simpler than you’d think it would be, sometimes it means more than the person is willing to talk about.  Whatever the case may be, there’s always something there.  I took a look at a few of my favorites that I’ve found so far on campus, and the little stories I got definitely didn’t disappoint.  Check them out below:   

Claire Steakley – Sophomore

I got my tattoo in late March of this past year at a shop called 713 Tattoo.  It’s based on this famous piece of graffiti on a train track going over the highway headed towards downtown Houston.  I’ve always wanted to get a tattoo but I never knew what I would get, then one day I drove under the graffiti and thought I should get it tattooed on me.  It says BE SOMEONE.  I [would] sometimes write things on my arms to remind me to do things or just little messages to keep me going, so I thought a constant reminder to be great and to shoot for the stars would be awesome to have on my arm permanently.   

Nicki Dible – Sophomore

I got my tattoo in the late Fall of 2015 at a shop called Velvet Lotus in Iowa City when I was 18 years old.  I had always wanted it done but needed a little push, so I got it done when my cousin was also getting a pretty sentimental [one].  It signifies that there’s a brighter side to life and is just a reminder to keep your head up.  

Sofia Caruccio – Freshman

I got a little “Z” tattooed on my arm at the beginning of this past March, at Under the Needle in Seattle.  It’s for my dog Zora who passed away at the end of February when she was 15 years old.  I wanted my first tattoo to be special and meaningful so having one that represents the love I have for Zora was perfect for me.  My two older brothers also have the exact same tattoo in different locations (one on his calf, and the other on his lower arm) so it’s also a tattoo that symbolizes the bond between my brothers and I.  

Cecile Forsyth – Sophomore

I got this tattoo a year ago, when I was 19, in a shop called Stiehl’s in Ithaca, New York.  My mom and I both got them; hers is in my handwriting and mine is in hers.  The words, “that you remember me like I remember you,” are from a spanish lullaby that she used to sing me.  A huge reason why we got them is because we both have a high risk of getting Alzheimer’s, and so we thought that this quote was appropriate.