Los Angeles Women’s March 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Photo: https://www.instagram.com/carlie_doll/  

January 20, 2018, marked the year anniversary of the first Women’s March to advocate for equality and human rights. Last year, and this year alike, the peaceful protest was aimed at Donald Trump and his administration. Filled with love, anger, and controversy this year’s march expressed all of the emotions that have built up over the past 365 days.  

As soon as we reached Downtown Los Angeles, we couldn’t help but notice the people walking the streets with pink hats. We walked to the site of the march, and all we could see was a sea of people spilling out into allies and sidewalks. The energy was infectious and overwhelming. Everyone was smiling and ready to enact their constitutional right. We tried to wiggle our way to the front of the line, but everyone was packed together like sardines, so we eventually stuck our ground and waited for the march to start. At 10:00 am we finally began to move through the streets of Downtown! Everyone was chanting “this is what democracy looks like, show me what democracy looks like,” “my body, my choice,” and more. This march wasn’t just to fight for equality, but it was also to encourage people to vote in the midterms! It’s so important that our opinions are heard in every election, not just one every four years!

One of my favorite parts of the march was seeing how creative people got with their signs!

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/carlie_doll/

At the end of the route,we were unfortunately met by some counter-protestors. These men and women were waving Trump flags, childishly name calling us, and making rude gestures. They too were enacting their first amendment right, but we were all confused as to why they were there. Yes, a lot of the anger was targeted toward Donald Trump, but overall this was to show solidarity with those who came forward with the #MeToo movement, to fight for equal rights, and rights to our bodies. I found this experience to be incredibly overwhelming. I had never been so close to people angered by people fighting for their rights. The lack of empathy and respect these counter-protesters had got to me, but something beautiful came out of it. Some of the drummers who were marching with us came right up next to the counter-protesters and started playing so that we couldn’t hear what they were saying. Instead of trying to yell over the drums at them a large group of us, all under the age of 20, just started dancing with the drummers. It exemplified how negativity should never diminish your zest for life and ability to act freely.

The march route only took about an hour, but the event did not end until 3:00 pm. Rachel Platten performed Fight Song, and there were some truly incredible speakers: Elizabeth Banks, Senator Kamala Harris, Laverne Cox, and Viola Davis just to name a few. It was a celebration of life and our ability to make the change we want to see in the world.

One point of controversy linked to this years march was the lack of inclusivity when it came to transgender women and gender non-conforming people. I did see some signs stressing the importance about intersectionality, but a lot of the rhetoric included the use of female reproductive organs. This leaves out transgender women and gender non-conforming/fluid people who are fighting for everything the march stood for, if not more. As time goes by, I wish to see more inclusivity in how we define being female.

Carlie is originally from Minnesota but has always been a California girl at heart. She is studying Communication Studies and Public Relations at Loyola Marymount University. In addition to Her Campus, she is also apart of a service organization, and her job is to bring celebrity guests to LMU for concerts, Q&As, and stand-up shows. Carlie has a variety of passions from singing, cooking, makeup, and YouTube so you can expect a fun array of articles from her!