lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Importance of Self-Love on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Who’s ready for Valentine’s Day? I’m guessing it’s only a few of us, and I think I know why. Females that are not in relationships feel that they have no place on this day. Yes, Valentine’s Day is traditionally meant to celebrate romantic love (in the High Middle Ages when courtly love was still a thing), but this is 2015! When do we ever celebrate traditional stuff like we are supposed to? I think we often forget the most important relationship we have out there, and instead take it for granted: the relationship we have with ourselves.

Are you planning on celebrating GALentine’s Day with your best friends? Well, why don’t you start including yourself into that celebration? After all, you should be your own best friend! The relationship you have with yourself is so important to your overall wellbeing; start taking it seriously and doing more to make it better!

So, how can we start loving ourselves so that we can celebrate every day of the year?

First, you must actually start treating yourself like you would a best friend. Your best friend is someone who you support, motivate, and care for. You love that person so much, and would never want to see him or her hurt. There are some things that I think and say to myself when I am frustrated and feeling down that would probably leave me friendless if I said them so others. We need to worship ourselves like we do our favorite people! I would never criticize my best friend on looks or tell her how she is just not doing anything right lately. If she’s ever having a hard time, I get her through it and make sure that she stays positive. You need to realize that you will never be perfect, and understand that your best is good enough. Cheer yourself on every day and be less harsh; try complimenting yourself every chance you get. Write a love letter to yourself this Valentine’s Day explaining what makes you amazing and unique!

Second, we all need to realize how special we are. Each individual person on this planet is so different from everyone else. There will never be someone that will look, think, or act exactly like you. I do not think we always understand how cool this is. We each have so much potential to do something amazing that maybe only we could do. Once you start to understand how unique you are, it is easier to appreciate yourself not for what you have done or will do, but for who you are at this moment.

Finally, let’s add some positivity into the mix! The more happy and positive you are, the easier it is to be kind to yourself. Gratitude is a good way to start. No matter what is going on during your day at school, if you think about all that you have around you, your worries now will seem a lot smaller. Train your mind to think positive thoughts. This means forcing negative thoughts about yourself, others, and the world outward. Also, being selfless and doing kind things for others will make you feel positive for doing good. Express to everyone you love why they are important to you, and you will definitely feel the love back.

If we all stop worrying about this holiday and instead focus on spreading love to everyone, especially ourselves, we will be able to enjoy it without having to bash those in relationships. Try to be more positive, be your own cheerleader, and realize how amazing you are. Buy yourself some chocolates and flowers – Valentine’s Day is now your day! You are chillin’ with the person that you are for a while, so make that relationship fun, valuable, and worthwhile.

xo

Editor’s Note: Be sure to check out Kimberly’s LOVEly blog, Mind & Hearts! -EH