I Went To Camp Flog Gnaw (And Survived)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

(Cover Photo)

This past weekend, I went to Camp Flog Gnaw. The lineup for this year was insane, with artists such as A$AP Rocky and Lana Del Rey, and I am definitely suffering from PMFD (post music festival depression). Overall, it was a crazy experience, and I was definitely not prepared. However, my time at Camp Flog Gnaw helped me compile this list of crucial do’s and don’ts of music festivals.

1.Wear comfortable shoes

This weekend, I practically spent the entire time constantly walking around the festival grounds. If I wasn’t walking from one side of the festival to the other, I was waiting in line for food or having my feet stepped on in the pit. Wearing comfy, close-toed shoes is a must. Also, keep in mind that your shoes will get dirty. Do not wear your brand new white sneakers to a music festival, unless you are totally okay with them being destroyed by the end of the weekend.

2.Bring a water bottle

Hydration is key. Although Camp Flog Gnaw didn’t allow people to carry liquids onto festival grounds, I still brought empty water bottles. Because many music festivals have water fountains everywhere and water bottles at these events are usually super overpriced, it is better to be prepared.

3.Bring a bag

Having a bag that you are comfortable with carrying around the whole weekend is important. A small backpack or fanny pack will prevent you from losing your wallet or phone in a huge crowd of people. Plus, you have the ability to bring other things that can help you stay prepared, such as a portable charger or cash for food. Just remember to limit the amount of things you put in your bag, so that you’re not forced to lug around a heavy backpack the whole day.

4. Plan it out

Unfortunately, you can’t see every single artists at a festival. Remember to check the lineup and times before you arrive at the festival and discuss a general game plan with your friends. While spontaneity is a key factor in having fun, a little organization can also help you have the best time ever.

5.Stick with your friends

It’s so easy to get lost at a music festival and the reception usually sucks, so remember to stay close to your friends and only travel in groups. If you do have to separate from your group, and texting or calling isn’t an option, utilize the landmarks on the festival grounds as spots to meet back up with your friends.

6.Have fun

While it is important to follow all these rules and stay safe, it is also important to remember to have fun at music festivals. The best moments I had at Camp Flog Gnaw were the moments I completely let loose and just purely enjoyed the music, so relax and prepare to have a great time at your first music festival!