This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Being in college means being independent – and being independent means keeping ourselves accountable for our work and scheduling. However, it can be difficult for a lot of us to stay motivated to work when there are so many temptations that seem much more inviting. So, without further ado, here are some tips to overcome motivation blocks and/or procrastination! 

1. Give Up.

No, really. This may seem like a sarcastic answer, but if you really cannot find the motivation to do something, simply give up for the time being. Take a break. Chances are you aren’t being productive anyway. You may just be hurting yourself by wasting time without really getting anything done! Take a quick 20-minute power nap, eat a snack, or go for a short walk to get your mind out of its sluggish state.

2. Make a List

Most people might recommend making a to-do list to keep yourself in check, however, I recommend a different type of list. Rather than day-to-day items, though these may help in the short term, think about what your long term goals are. Why is what you are doing worthwhile? How will it benefit your future? Though doing a boring homework assignment may seem to have no purpose at the current moment, maybe getting an A in the class will help you get a scholarship or assist with taking the next steps in your career. Having a future-focused mindset can help you retain your motivation over a long period of time, as long as you are working towards your goals and know clearly what those goals are.

3. Move to a New Space

If you get too comfortable in one space or associate that space with a pastime other than doing work, you may need to switch locations. Though it may be more comfortable to do homework in your bed, your brain automatically associates your bed with sleep and you’ll find yourself becoming tired easily and struggling to work. Moving to a new location means you can start your mind off on the right track associating the space with productivity. Bonus points if this spot is in a public space or somewhere that other people study because the people around you being productive can help influence your own productivity.

4. Find Someone to Inspire You

This may be a person physically in your life, or it may even be a celebrity who you look up to. If you want to use a celebrity, find someone who has accomplished things similar to the goals you’re reaching towards. Use videos and/or articles about them to inspire and motivate yourself to keep pushing through. This practice can help you visualize where you could be if you continue to work hard. If someone in your personal life inspires you, try having a conversation with them and getting their help or advice. You can also set up study dates because their work ethic will help you focus as well.

5. Start the Day Right With Morning Gratitude

Similar to #3, this tactic also requires making a list. What often holds us back in life are negative thoughts. If you think you can’t do something before you even try, chances are you won’t have the motivation to do it at all. So, every morning when you wake up, try reflecting on the previous day. Come up with a mental or physical list of everything you are grateful for. Though this may feel difficult at times, you’ll be surprised how many things you can come up with. This positive attitude right at the start of your day will carry through in everything you do throughout the rest of the day; you’ll find yourself much more productive and ready to work!

Though it may seem hard at first, overcoming any mental or physical block is only a temporary struggle. There are so many ways to get yourself up, motivated, and back on track – these are only a few ideas! With the winter season and the end of the semester quickly approaching, don’t give up now. Keep working hard and keep up the good work!

Hi! I'm a freshman recording arts major but I've always loved writing! My hobbies include dancing, painting, and binge watching the latest netflix show. I love all things aesthetic and cute and I love trying and learning new things!