This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Picture this: you wake up an hour early for your 9 am class. You decide you want to look cute so you fix up your hair, actually try when doing your makeup (instead of quickly swiping mascara on your lashes) and head to your closet to find an outfit. You stand in front of it for a few minutes, and think this to yourself:

You finally find a pair of ripped jeans and a top– when suddenly you notice how basic this outfit is. Well, we have all been there. However, it’s easy to make any outfit your own and to express your own style! Here are a few ways to make any outfit unique to yourself:

1. Layer Your Jewelry

Personally, jewelry is a must for me. Whether its rings, earrings, bracelets or necklaces, I am never seen without them. By adding these simple statements to your outfits, it spices it up and make it a little more unique to yourself. Layering necklaces is a simple yet cute way to show your style and add a little personality to your outfit! Whether it has your name on it, was a gift from your Mom, or you purchased it at your local flea market, it will always make a statement and be sentimental to you.

Earrings are a great way to add a little “something-something” to your outfit. A simple way to make yourself look more put together is to exchange your simple pearl earrings for classic hoops or dangly earrings. This gives the outfit more flair and can go with anything – even a sweatshirt!

2.  Add a Cute Jacket

Personally, I love wearing different jackets. My favorite has always been an oversized jean jacket since it goes with pretty much anything in your closet. I love adding pins and patches to it to make it even more unique to myself! Other great ones include a classic leather jacket, corduroy jacket or windbreaker — any make you look stylish and put together (even though you really just threw it on).

3.  Top Off Your Outfit With a Hat

This can go from a simple baseball cap to a sun hat to a beanie; it will surely change up how you wear it! If you are in the mood for workout clothes, add a cap to your outfit! It will make such a simple gym outfit your own. Same goes for a regular outfit like jeans and a t-shirt; adding a sun hat or beanie will change the entire look!

4. Change Up Your Bag

Instead of wearing the same crossover bag everyday, try to wear a different, more unique one! Whether it’s a bag with a unique pattern, just a bright colored bag or even a small statement backpack- either way, it will spice up your outfit for sure!

5. Wear Unique Socks With Your Sneakers

This is a go-to for me; whether it’s wearing christmas socks with my sneakers in the winter to get in the holiday spirit or just throwing on adidas socks that show above where the sneaker cuts off, they both add more to any outfit to make it seem more put together.

6. Use Sunglasses as an Accessory

A personal favorite of mine are the “extra” sunglasses. These are a great way to add some uniqueness to your outfit. Whether they are classic ray bans, ‘Clout’ glasses, or a bright colored lens glasses, it will instantly make it cooler – and it’s a great conversation starter!

7. Layer Your Clothing

Sweaters over long sleeves, scarves, and jackets – we are gradually making our way into the cooler season and with that comes cozy fall outfits! Layering allows you to put so many outfits into one and makes you look like you spent hours figuring out what to wear when in reality you took 30 seconds!

Alexis ( or as her friends call her -- Alex) is a Marketing major at LMU. Her life wouldn't be complete without music (more specific-- Foster the People), fashion, food and her family. You can easily find her at a concert or exploring cities such as LA and NYC. She lives for thrifting and finding the best deals on clothing.