How To Laugh and Stay Informed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It’s no secret that the 2016 election transformed the Late Night Television landscape. Since then, every comedian in the field has had to make crucial choices regarding how their show handles the Trump Administration. And since most days it seems as though the news is the only thing to discuss, it has become a growing battle to stand out. Yet, two years in, and in the heat of the midterm season, late night hosts and comedians have divided themselves into three general groups: The Deep Divers, The “Monologue-ers,” and The Joksters. For college students, sitting down to watch television (and finding one for some) to watch the news can be difficult and often depressing, and searching out legitimate online or printed news sources may take up too much study time and put a damper on the spirits. Yet with these shows’ Youtube’s and online streamings, we can all laugh and stay informed throughout “the most important midterm election in the country’s history.” Find which show is right for you, there’s plenty to choose from!

The Deep-Divers

These hosts utilize all (or a good portion) of their show to address the news

Late Night with Seth Meyers (Available on NBC, Youtube, and Hulu)

Many comedians have commented on how the 2016 election has affected their comedy, for better or worse, yet you can’t deny that it has helped the Late Night team a great deal. Meyers’ signature segment is “A Closer Look,” a 10+ minute in-depth exploration of the largest new story(ies) of the day. The segment is concise, comprehensive, hilarious, utterly genuine, and has brought the show major success and attention. Meyers has no problem expressing his own opinions and advocating for his own beliefs, while also incorporating that of his diverse writing staff. Other news-related segments include “The Check-In,” a shorter ‘check-in’ on something in the news that may not be getting a lot of news coverage, like what the EPA is doing post-Scot Pruitt, and “Jokes Seth Can’t Tell.” A segment in which two of Meyers’ female writers (one African-American and the other a Puerto-Rican Lesbian) deliver jokes Meyers admits he is not qualified to tell. Late Night’s short segments are a great, entertaining way to stay informed on the day-to-day news.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Available on Comedy Central, Youtube, and Amazon Prime)

Rooted in its political origins from Jon Stewart, The Daily Show is perhaps the most politically geared of late night shows, with images of the White House and Capital projected constantly behind host Trevor Noah. Since taking over in 2015, Noah’s voice has proved to be unique and much-needed in the comedy atmosphere. His global perspective combined with the show’s diverse team of correspondents make for a show filled with laughs, important discussions, and field pieces that can’t be accurately expressed from behind a desk. The show most often includes a thorough run-down of the news (both Trump and non-Trump), a field piece and discussion with one of the correspondents, and a guest appearance that is most often connected to something political or social justice related. The Daily Show is perfect for someone looking for a show that encompasses multiple aspects of the news, as well as a light, personal connection with its audience.

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (Available on TBS, Youtube, Amazon Prime, and Google Play)

As the only female host in the network/cable late night sphere, Daily Show alumna, Sam Bee is unique in her own right. More specifically regarding her show, Bee does not have guests and instead dedicates her show (that only airs once a week) to in-depth and emotionally charged discussion pieces and field pieces from her correspondents. While Bee has gotten in trouble for taking things a step too far, such as her comments about Ivanka Trump, her voice is unique, and perfect for someone who is looking for a passionate female perspective on hot-button issues.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (Available on HBO, Youtube, and Amazon Prime)

Emmy-darling, Last Week Tonight is also hosted by a Daily Show alum, John Oliver. Since 2014, Oliver’s once-a-week show has been diving deep and exploring various issues from other countries’ elections to chickens. While Oliver covers an array of topics, he knows when the mainstream news needs to be addressed, previously running segments on Trump and his relationship with the rest of the world, Jared and Ivanka Trump’s role in the White House, and Brett Kavanaugh. This season, it is likely that the British Oliver will cover his adopted country’s midterm elections, making it the perfect show for someone looking exclusively for a show that focuses on a specific, singular topic.

The “Monologue-ers”

These hosts use their monologues to discuss the news.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (Available on CBS and Youtube)

While The Late Show has received both vast criticism and praise for its handling of the current political climate, Colbert’s show still follows a generally stereotypical model of a late-night talk show, which includes a standing monologue, guest segments, and musical performances. It is Colbert’s known political views and disdain for the current president that drive his political pieces. His monologues can last up to twelve minutes, but it is not as consistent as that of the deep-diving shows. Yet, since it is still informative of the news of the day, The Late Show is perfect for someone who is passionate (and upset) about the current state of the country and is looking for someone to share their fury with all while laughing at the same time.

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Available on ABC, Youtube, and Hulu)

Prior to the 2016 election, Kimmel was not known for speaking much about politics. Yet in the last few years, he has thrown his hat in the ring and it’s paid off for his show big time. Though, while the attention may be an added bonus, any viewer knows that much of Kimmel’s new political commentary stems from his young son’s terrifying health scare back in 2017. Since then, Kimmel has been an avid critic of Republican’s health care proposals, as well as Trump in general. Yet, he still manages to keep things light throughout his monologue and the rest of the show. Kimmel’s show is perfect for someone who is looking to hear about the news from someone who is passionate about both the issues and the latest in Hollywood.

The Joksters

These hosts make political jokes… but that’s about it.

The Late Late Show with James Corden (Available on CBS and Youtube)

Corden isn’t known for his politics. The British triple-threat is much more famous for his comedic and talent-filled performances of musicals on busy streets, outrageous games with his guests, and of course Carpool Karaoke. During his monologue, Corden will take the time to address the news of the day, but it isn’t the backbone of the show the way it is with others. In the past, Corden has taken more time to address issues that are near and dear to his heart, such as in 2017 after a terror attack in his home city of London, but those moments are largely for the host to express his feelings and connect with the audience in a genuine way rather than simply telling the daily news. This show is best suited for those who want a quick run-down of the events of the day, but otherwise, want to sit back and watch celebrities eat everything from deep-fried butter to cow tongue.

Conan (Available on TBS, Youtube, and Amazon Prime)

Conan O’Brien and his sidekick Andy Richter are now the longest running, on-air late-night comics. Due to their extensive experience and airtime, the two seem to have a routine down, and it’s one that wasn’t going to be largely affected by the 2016 election. O’Brien will make a few jokes about the president and what is going on in the news, but the punchline is always the most important thing, not the explanation or backstory. Like Corden, O’Brien takes moments in his shows to address important issues such as mass shootings and terrorist attacks, but they are not a part of his nightly routine. Conan is perfect for someone looking for a “classic” late night talk-show experience filled with quirky comedy and quick references to the news.

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Available on NBC, Youtube, and Hulu)

Since taking over The Tonight Show in 2014, Jimmy Fallon has had his share of ups and downs in his search for his late-night voice. The Tonight Show is the most famous of the late night shows which means it must appeal to the largest amount of people. This means that Fallon largely abstains from political commentary. This may also be due to Fallon’s general disinterest for the subject, but it may also be due to his 2016 interview with then-candidate Trump. Fallon was widely criticized for being too nice to Trump and for asking to touch his hair, and has since then has had to find a balance between appealing to his liberal and conservative viewers. Since then, Fallon will make a few jokes regarding the daily news and the administration, but ultimately remains the “escapist show.” The Tonight Show is good for anyone who gets their news from other sources.

So, with these nine shows, there’s no doubt that everyone can laugh their way through November and beyond. No matter what happens!

Her Campus LMU