Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Get Through Your Breakup this Dumpsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

No matter what time of year, breakups aren’t easy. Why break up season always falls around thanksgiving puzzles me but it has created the phenomenon of dumpsgiving. Through my own experiences and that of my friends, I believe I’ve created the perfect algorithm for getting through the worst and most painful breakups. So wipe your tears long enough to read through this article and I promise you won’t regret it. 

Step 1: Let yourself feel. 

No matter who you are, if you are a cryer or not, or if you like to push your feelings to the back of your head, you have to let yourself mourn. You lost someone and someone close. It is going to be painful and at some point or another all those feelings will come out, so I urge you to grieve and do it in the beginning. Give yourself three days, listen to your favorite songs, cry over old pictures, and let yourself reminisce. 

Step 2: PICK YO HEAD UP BABY

After day three of agonizing, you have to stop. It’s time to date YOURSELF. Unfavorite all pictures of him/her, put all their clothes, pictures, and gifts in a box, change their contact in your phone, change any wallpaper, archive and/or change the captions on your Instagram photos. No more sad music, I strongly encourage you to play Cardi B (this will make you feel like a bada$$). 

Step 3: Fill your plate

Take your extra free time and run with it. Join a club you didn’t have time for, pick up a hobby you’ve always wanted to try, spend more time with your friends, and learn to be comfortable on your own. Try and take yourself out on a date at least once a week, checking in on yourself is more important than you realize so work on your independence and learn to absolutely love it. 

Step 4: Learn

Every relationship no matter how it ends or how it taught you more about yourself. It teaches you what you want and don’t want, what you deserve and don’t. It should help you in future relationships to understand what you will and won’t put up with and what you want out of future partners. Most importantly it should demonstrate that you will be perfectly fine, and you are stronger than you realize. 

Step 5: Browse the market

It’s hard to date right after a big relationship so jumping straight into a new relationship isn’t something I would recommend but look around, let yourself develop a crush on that cute guy or gal from your class. Go out on a casual dinner date, and open up your heart to the future. My mom always said you have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince charming.