jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Deal with Moody Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I love my friends, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes they can have a mood problem. I get it, I get it, you have lots of things going on in your life right now. But everyone does. It’s hard to deal with the people who always seem to be more of a pessimist, when you are trying to look at how the glass is half full. Here are some tips and trick to deal with difficult attitudes in a way that won’t tear apart a friendship.

Number 1: Talk it Out

It’s easy to assume that somebody wants to just be left alone. Especially if they say it. But, more often than not, just a quick conversation to help understand what they are going through can always help. Unless, they specifically say they need space. Then give them space.

Number 2: Let them Know You are There

A quick text, or a funny/cute gif (like this one), is always a great way to reach out to someone if they aren’t acting quite like themselves. Without even mentioning that you noticed a switch in their mood, you can definitely get across to someone who seems to be shutting the world out. Because, c’mon who doesn’t want to see a baby monkey running toward another baby monkey?

Number 3: Take Some Time Apart

This may seem completely contractitory to what I said before, but there are always multiple methods for dealing with madness. Everybody needs some alone time every once in awhile, and maybe that is exactly what your friend is going through now. So, give them space and time to relax, recharge and get back to being their normal beautiful selves.

Number 4: Suggest an Outing

Being moody is more often than not getting bored and stuck in the same routine. So get off campus! Ask your friend if they want to go do something fun, maybe like shopping, the beach or even just sitting and relaxing somewhere away from the classroom. This can be a good time to talk to them and make sure everything is ok. But, don’t make the whole day about trying to figure out “what’s wrong with them”, that will just make matters worse.

Number 5: Foooooood!!

Hanger is real. I don’t care what anybody else says, it is a real feeling that almost everyone in the world experiences. So, what you might think is a huge moody spell, might actually just be a craving for tacos. So get your gal or guy their favorite food. And no, this isn’t bribery, it’s a friend recognizing a negative change and wanting to make a positive situation.

Overall, it can be so hard to deal with friends that just are not acting like themselves. But at the end of the day, we all go through rough patches in our life. So, let’s work together to combat the moodiness and find the rainbow after the rain.