A Hot Girl’s Guide to Hot Girl Summer: Prep + Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Alright hotties, it’s almost summertime, and with the growing excitement of a post-COVID, semi-normal life, we know it’s going to be a wild one. With Meg Thee Stallion being cuffed, us hotties have been left to fend for ourselves. Therefore, I want to make sure every single one of you is well prepared for Hot Girl Summer and has the essentials you need so that you’re always good to go when you’re on-the-go.

Let’s Start with Prep!

Tirachard Kumtanom

1) Working out + Eating healthy

Don’t give me that look. Whether it’s rewatching Chloe Ting’s “Abs in 2 Weeks” video from quarantine, going on walks, or hitting up your local gym, it’s time to get active again. Try to supplement your workouts with some nutritious-dense foods. A wise woman named Cassie Ho once said, “Abs are made in the gym, but shown in the kitchen.” Now if you’re going to take away anything from this article, it’s this: Do NOT workout and eat healthy for the aesthetics. I want everyone to feel confident this summer in the body they are in, and working out + eating healthy will not only help boost your confidence, but also boost your serotonin. The physical transformation is just a bonus!

2) Meditation

Like I said, I want you all to feel confident and secure in your own skin. A daily morning ritual that starts off with tuning into your body can help you reconnect with yourself and boost your mental health. Hot Girl Summer isn’t just about how you look, it’s about how you feel. And I want you feeling like the healthiest version of yourself, physically and mentally. 

3) WATER. WATER. WATER.

Drink a gallon of water a day, and if that’s too much, drink your bodyweight in ounces. Trust me, your skin will thank you later. If you’re 21 and older, your liver will thank you later. 

4) Sleep

At least 7 to 9 hours for adults. I know it’s incredibly hard as a college student, but if you make this your top priority, you will naturally start to micromanage your time in order to make this work. One way I’ve been able to achieve this is by setting my alarm to wake me up earlie- don’t give me that look! Listen, the more time you have in the morning to workout, eat, and finish up assignments, the more time you have later on in the day to relax, hang out, and go to bed early.

5) Social Media Cleanse (sorry not sorry)

Here’s some tough love. If you’re going to be the hottest, healthiest version of yourself this summer, you need to get off Instagram and Tiktok. They’re toxic. Period. I’m absolutely guilty of this, but you can never learn to love yourself if you continuously try to set goals off of what you see on social media. I’m sure you’ve heard this a million times before, but it’s true! Studies actually show that time spent on sm, as well as the number of sm apps one has, causes a decline in mental health. So, I usually start by setting time limits for each app, and then slowly but surely, I find myself less interested in going on. Trust me, it’s for our own good.

6) Summer Playlist

Summer would be nothing without all the bops that keep that summer energy alive! Start creating your playlist now so that when summer rolls around, you can add new songs. Some of my favorite artists for summer bops are Sean Paul, Nicki Minaj, Pitbull, and of course Meg.

Now onto the essentials!

Sunglasses graphic
Canva

1) Sunscreen (spf 50 and above)

This is crucial if you want your skin to stay supple and moisturized. Remember, this is about health. Without sunscreen, you’re seriously putting yourself at risk for skin cancer on the road, and we obviously want to avoid that. I know literally nothing about tanning (as I’m black), but I do know there are some tanning lotions with SPF in them: Jergens, Sun Bum, Australian Gold, Hawaiin Tropic, etc.

2) Disposable Camera

Yes they’re trendy, but the way the photos turn out truly capture the memories is such a nostalgic way.

3) Sunglasses

A solid pair of sunglasses is crucial! And they don’t have to be super expensive either! Missguided has a bunch of sunglasses on sale right now for as low as $8!

4) Mini fan

I mean… yeah. This one’s pretty self-explanatory.

5) Phone pocket holder

You remember freshman year of college right? This was the holy grail for a night out. Let’s not forget where we came from. 

6) Fanny Pack/ Mini backpack

Well you need somewhere to put all of this stuff! If you will be constantly on the go or traveling this summer, a small backpack or fanny pack can make your life so much easier. Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen! 

Chiamaka Amadi is a junior Health and Human Sciences Major at LMU. She is currently a member of the Alpha Phi Zeta Beta Chapter as well as in an A Cappella group called Notetorious on campus. When she's not studying, she enjoys exploring LA, traveling, kickboxing, and doing anything spontaneous from drastic hair transformations to tattoos and piercings. During quarantine, she discovered her love for discussing social issues, which manifested into her co-hosting a new podcast called Parental Advisory! insta: @parental.advisory.podcast
Her Campus LMU