Hero Images with HC Branding
Hero Images with HC Branding
American Broadcasting Company and Canva

Grey’s Anatomy Makes Non-Medical History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Although Shonda Rhimes may have killed off almost all of my favorite characters—sorry if that was a spoiler for any potential watchers—Grey’s Anatomy still remains my absolute favorite TV show to date.

Now personally, I’m a part-time die-hard Grey’s fan…basically what I mean is I’ve watched every episode through season fourteen twice, but don’t have any Greys Anatomy merch or run an Instagram fan account that follows the series. Did I think I wanted to be a surgeon and that I basically knew how to clip an aneurysm by season five? Oh yeah. Am I caught up through season fifteen? No, but I’m working on that right after I finish this article, don’t worry!

On the last day of February, Thursday the 28th, the show aired its 332nd episode, becoming the longest-running medical drama to ever air on television. It surpassed ER, another medical series that aired on NBC for fifteen seasons, and is most certainly not over yet. Writer and executive producer of Grey’s, Shonda Rhimes, has been quoted in multiple interviews saying the show won’t stop until the fans want it to.

Grey’s Anatomy making history is not something new. The actors and actresses in the series, and the drama as a whole have been both nominated for and have won numerous awards throughout the show’s duration. Fifteen seasons have brought Grey’s Anatomy nothing but success along with more and more fans every episode. The show remains number one the ABC network today just as it was in its earlier years.

So how has the show been kept alive for so long? That answer is easy: it’s because of the lasting impact it has on people’s’ lives.

Recently Jesse Williams, who plays Doctor Jackson Avery, chief of plastic surgery on the show, came to speak at Loyola Marymount University. Although he wasn’t visiting to speak about his time or role on Grey’s, he did briefly talk about the impact the show has left on his personal life.

Williams began by touching on how “ahead of the curve” Greys has always been. He spoke about how sincerely proud he was to be a part of a series that promotes equality in the workplace, a part of a show that embodied LGBTQ+ roles from the very beginning, a part of a group of people who weren’t afraid to bring politics into the picture, and a part of a bigger effort to promote inclusion and diversity in every episode.

Grey’s Anatomy never asks permission; the show is always the “first responder” to the scene when it comes to breaking down social barriers. It’s hard enough for surgeons to master the complex anatomy of the human body–probably even harder for the actors and actresses on set to master the role of being chief surgeons–but somehow Grey’s Anatomy has mastered all of the above along with the art of healing people through messages and storylines that resonate with every single fan who watches.

It goes without saying that Greys Anatomy will forever hold a place in the hearts of many. It has become such an integral part of millions of viewers’ daily lives. Favorite characters and plotlines will continue to come and go, but what the series stands for will always remain steadfast and true.

Just as the surgeons work tirelessly to heal and cure their patients, Grey’s Anatomy will continue to make its viewers feel empowered and whole after every episode, both new and old.

Rylie Walsh is a recent graduate of Loyola Marymount University, where she earned her degree in Communication Studies and English! She was President of Her Campus LMU for the 2021-22 school year and is also a Her Campus National Writer. When she's not reading, writing, or working, you can find her hanging out with friends, SoulCycling, or enjoying her all time favorite dessert: a Pressed freeze.