This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Supermodel Karlie Kloss is everywhere. At just 23 years old, Taylor Swift’s BFF is hailed as one of the top models in the industry, an “it” girl of the decade, and if that isn’t enough, she is well on her way to becoming one of the most respected.

When she isn’t busy walking in shows or shooting magazine and advertising campaigns around the world, hanging out with friends and family, or making vegan ‘kookies’ sold to benefit charities, one can now find the 6 foot 1 stunner studying; Karlie just started her freshman year at New York University.

Kloss is not the first in the modeling industry to prioritize education. Christy Turlington (now Christy Turlington Burns), who wrote Karlie’s recommendation letter, also took time out of her modeling career to hit the books at NYU.

Karlie is taking full advantage of her impressive social following and fame to promote the importance education in general, specifically in getting more women involved in coding. Earlier this year, Kloss launched a partnership with the Flatiron School in New York to create the Kode with Karlie scholarship for 20 girls, ages 13 to 18.

“I think it’s crucial that young women learn to code as early as possible to ensure that we have a voice in what the world looks like.” Karlie is referring to the current statistic that only 12% of computer science degrees are going to women. By 2020, universities in the United States will have a difficult time filling even a third of the country’s 1.4 million computing positions with qualified graduates. The solution? Teach more girls how to code.

LMU’s Computer Science programs emphasize computing on multiple platforms, open source software development, and boasts small class sizes that promote an ideal learning experience. We asked three LMU Computer Science majors about their experiences thus far, and what they want to do with their abilities. 

Name: Isabella LaBianca 

Hometown: Los Gatos, California

Year: Sophomore

Name: Carleen Petrosian

Hometown: Glendale, California

Year: Sophomore

Name: Mackenzie Tjogas (right)

Hometown: Half Moon Bay, California

Year: Sophomore

1. On GirlsWhoCode.com, a statistic states that just 0.4% of high school girls choose to major in computer science. What led you to your decision?

Carleen: “To be honest, I never expected to find myself pursuing a career in computer science. I imagined I’d be a doctor or lawyer, like most of the Armenians in my community. However, when I took biology and chemistry in high school, I didn’t find them very interesting. I was more fascinated with my mathematics, especially pre-Calculus and Calculus, and Physics courses. They seemed to come more naturally to me. When it came to college applications, I decided to follow the footsteps of the engineers in my family, particularly my dad, and study computer science. Since I came to LMU and took the preliminary computer science courses, I have loved every confusing, frustrating, and exhilarating moment of it; I truly believe that I have made the right decision.”

2. Was there any class, teacher, or anything in particular that sparked your interest in the subject?

Mackenzie: “I always loved math and knew I wanted to go in the math and sciences direction, but I still wanted to have creativity in my classes. One of my high school teachers suggested computer science, and after doing more research, I thought it would be a perfect fit.”

3. What do you think discourages girls from pursuing majors in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)? 

Isabella: “I think that there is a stigma surrounding STEM that those involved in the programs are not social and tend to be nerdy, but that could not be farther from the truth! I speak for programming specifically, because it is what I have had the most experience with, but programmers are some of the most social people I know. Along with the social stigma, I also think that girls feel as if most of the people in these majors are males, which is true, but that is a statistic that is changing.”

Carleen: “Definitely the stereotypes. Society has portrayed this image that students pursuing majors in STEM, especially computer science and engineering, are socially- awkward, nerdy, and super-genius males. By pursuing a career in these majors, girls may feel discouraged, insecure of their image, and looked down upon by their male peers, because of the narrow view of who can be “successful” as a computer scientist. The males in our major, at least at LMU, are outgoing, friendly, and helpful. In addition, the sophomore class has the most female computer scientists LMU has ever seen. When it comes to homework and exams, the females perform equally with, if not better than, many of the males in the class.”

4. What has been your favorite part of the computer science program at LMU thus far? 

Isabella: “The interaction I have had with all of my professors is what makes me love the computer science program at LMU. The professors and TA’s are so incredibly helpful. The computer science department is extremely supportive of one another and I believe that is what makes computer science so special at LMU.”

Mackenzie: “The computer science community at LMU has made my experience such a great one. All of the professors and TAs have been beyond welcoming. Everyone goes out of their way to help the students, and I feel so fortunate to be a part of the program.”

5. What do you want to do with your Computer Science major after college?

Carleen: “I’m not really sure yet on what I would like to do with my major. I’ve been thinking of minoring in business and getting my MBA when I graduate from LMU to possibly start my own tech company.”

Isabella: “I am not sure what I would like to do specifically after college with Computer Science. I am looking into some different internships at tech companies for the upcoming summer. I am hoping through these internships I will find a company that I really enjoy working for.”

6. Why should girls get in to computer science? 

Mackenzie: “Because it’s an interesting, challenging, and rewarding field. Despite the small number of girls in this major, I’ve loved my experience so far. There are a lot of opportunities with a degree in computer science, and as a discipline it encompasses so much more than most people realize.”

Carleen: “From what I have experienced so far, my computer science courses have been challenging, but very rewarding. It takes a lot of patience, and eduring confusion and frustration to solve the programs assigned. However, after spending so much time working on the program, and finally figure out the solution, there’s no greater feeling. If there are girls out there who are up for a thought-provoking and satisfying major, they should really consider computer science. In addition, there’s a high demand, in regards to jobs with high-paying salaries, for computer scientists.”

Isabella: “Girls should consider pursing computer science because coding is definitely a challenge, but it is the challenge that makes it so fun and rewarding.”

*

The two most common words? Challenge and reward. These ladies are great examples of those defying the stereotypes of STEM-related majors that deter many from getting into the field. Let them, Karlie, and other women making the effort to get in the tech game inspire you to be challenged, make a difference, and code like a girl

Cover Photo